Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

• Hey, Guest! May Madness: Forum Fiesta Contest has begun! Please remember posts should create discussion or add to the discussion, any spam-like posts and threads will not be counted! Good luck >>>>Read more about this contest here!

Paid staff or Free staff?

Both me and my girlfriend were mods and were never paid. We did it solely in order to help out. I honestly don't even know of any paid mods. Wouldn't moderate again though....been there done that. lol

It all depends on what you want. If you are tasking the staff to have a fixed duration that they to be present on the forum to do their work, then you have to pay. For a voluntary position, staff should not be put under any obligation.

A forum is best managed with staff members. Forum staff members can be paid or working as a volunteer without any pay.

When you launched your forum, did you start with paid staff members or those who volunteered to help you out? If you hired only volunteers, do you have any plans on paying them in the future?
I will always want to begin with the free staff. I mean I want to have people that are willing to do the work with passion and zeal to see the forum progress instead of those who are not ready.

I will start paying them when I see that they have the passion to do the job and are doing excellently well.

I will always want to begin with the free staff. I mean I want to have people that are willing to do the work with passion and zeal to see the forum progress instead of those who are not ready.

I will start paying them when I see that they have the passion to do the job and are doing excellently well.

Last edited:
It depends. I have seen volunteer staff do great work. Especially on big forums.

Personally, I pay for the service I receive.

Where do you find volunteers? I'm interested in finding free volunteers

Free staff is also good and I have seen forums like forum coin and even Index forum that have always hired free staff and they are doing fine wth it

Moderators have lots of work on any site, and I believe they should be paid as they spend their valuable time on the site for the improvement of that site. They should get some percentage of the revenues the site generates

I don't have a forum, but if I should have one, I might startup with does who volunteer, then give them specific privileges, with time i will find a way to start paying them though.

I can understand why some forum staffs don't get paid. Maybe the revenue generated is not enough for it, but at the same time, it will be nice to offer incentives every now and then. This will give the staffs the motivation they need to work harder.

Hmm, and that may be the reason many of the forums don't have enough moderators. They should be paid incentives so that they may work hard for the benefits and the improvement of the site. That's one of the reasons I never volunteered to be a moderator on any forum.

I have seen on forums like forum coin that even free staff is good and they are even better as compared to those who we need to pay for their services

I have seen on forums like forum coin that even free staff is good and they are even better as compared to those who we need to pay for their services
Free staff on forumcoin is better? That means they give them incentives from time to time as this will motivate them to continue to work harder on the forum.

Free staff on forumcoin is better? That means they give them incentives from time to time as this will motivate them to continue to work harder on the forum.
I don't think so and they have never hired a paid staff and always work with free staff and they are doing well with this strategy

I don't think so and they have never hired a paid staff and always work with free staff and they are doing well with this strategy
In that case, those that volunteers already know what they were signing up for by being a free staff. And to be honest, it is commendable that they are still doing a good work despite not getting paid.

You were one of the moderators on RIF in the past. Were you a paid staff there?

Where do you find volunteers? I'm interested in finding free volunteers
These days it's hard to find them though, unless you are lucky to come across some that have the passion to do that particular thing.

I lack the temperament and am a bit too hard core. I don't think I am mod material.
But you have done it before? That simply means you were qualified to take on the role, despite the temperament and what not.

But you have done it before? That simply means you were qualified to take on the role, despite the temperament and what not.
Yes I have moderated on the following forums:

Wicca's Cauldron
Barney's Lounge
Baldar's Longboat
Valhalla Forum

But I don't want to do it anymore.

Featured Articles

Back