Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

How do you save money on utility bills?

deucher

Chipi Chipi Chapa Chapa

Reaction score
For me, these expenses make up a large part of all expenses, so there must be some way to save even a couple of dollars. For me, for example, there is a way to pay payments in person at the bank, because if you pay online, the service takes a commission for the transfer, but not in person at the bank

Turn off the lights when leaving a room.
Wash clothes in cold water.
Set thermostat to lower temps when sleeping.
I switched from regular cable to YouTube TV

This problem has been remedied on the technologic house so it turns off the light even if you forget this by a factor of AI, or even closes the fridge if it still open but no one could afford the cost of installation but it could save you a fortune.

Maybe it works for you, but in my experience, I am convinced that the light does not consume so much money, so it will not be possible to save much. The heating does take up most of my utilities but I have tried many times to turn the temperature down at night but I have always been sick due to a weak immune system. I haven't tried washing clothes in cold water, because it seems to me that they are not as thoroughly washed as in hot water. Does it really make no difference?

Maybe it works for you, but in my experience, I am convinced that the light does not consume so much money, so it will not be possible to save much. The heating does take up most of my utilities but I have tried many times to turn the temperature down at night but I have always been sick due to a weak immune system. I haven't tried washing clothes in cold water, because it seems to me that they are not as thoroughly washed as in hot water. Does it really make no difference?
People nowadays use a machine to wash clothes. However, it could be much more electricity consumption compared to manually washing clothes. But it could save you time and effort and have an immediate effect. This is to resume everything. This means you have the choice between this and that.

I replaced all the ordinary bulb in my rooms with energy bulbs. They consume lesser energy which reduces my light bill. I never turn on my water when it's not needed for anything.

I replaced all the ordinary bulb in my rooms with energy bulbs. They consume lesser energy which reduces my light bill. I never turn on my water when it's not needed for anything.
It could lead to another thing. People prefer taking a shower to a bath because it is less water-consuming. A bath every day could lead to consuming a lot of water means a high price of water. This is how people think.

I use energy efficient appliances which saves me at least 30 percent electricity. I also pay my bills on time to avoid penalty. l use utility payment that gives me some cash backs when I use their payment services. I share my internet connection with my neighbors that saves me about 50 percent of my internet bills.

I've installed solar system in my house. I don't use the power company electricity often. It have helped to cut down on my electricity bills drastically.

So I also did it, but to be honest, this is not the main consumption of electricity and it will not be possible to save a large amount precisely on this. I live alone and have a small room, so I don't even use the light very often

I have a well-planned energy policy. Turn off lights and other appliances when not necessary. Use them optimally.

Try to bundle your task while handling electronics. These together helps me save a lot.

To keep electricity builds low, I make sure I don't iron with my prepaid meter billing. I go to a friend's house that uses estimated billing to iron. That would help my electricity subscription to last for a much longer time.

Ironing is going to cause the bill to shoot up unnaturally. So are a few appliances.

I try to minimise their use or optimise them. As in you set the right temperature for refridgerator.

I turn off the light if I am not using them, and I also cut the cord and ditched cable and have antenna TV now. I bought a DVR, so I can record live TV and fast-forward though the commercials, I don't use any streaming apps. Not only that, but I also don't drive anywhere unless it's to do something.

P.S. cutting cable saved me $120+ a month.

Yes, cable is costing me a lot. I thought of skipping it, but some channels are good and I do not like to opt streaming only yet.

Streaming arena is also becoming a big mess. Too many apps, each asking for money.

I try to minimize wasteful habits like leaving lights on in vacant rooms or running partial loads of laundry. Programmable thermostats help optimize heating and cooling only when needed. During temperate months, I'll open windows instead of blasting the AC. It's a constant effort, but practicing conservation measures leads to meaningful savings over time on those recurring utility bills.

Pay them on time so that I don't get late service charges. Turn off the lights, and wear a sweater to keep the thermostat down, and hang the clothes outside so as not to use the dryer.

If you live in a hot climate or if it is a hot summer, then only turn on the air-con at night. Try to go outside and do something during the day. If you feel it is too hot during the day, go to a public library or go swimming.

We have learned to always manage when it comes to the things we use. These include water, electricity and gas. We don't turn on the light unless there's something important we have to do in the house. We don't take the car to go to just anywhere. The economy is not smiling anymore, so we have to adapt.

Actually, where I live in the southeastern US, the weather can get very hot, but once it gets nighttime, the goal is just to lower the temperature inside the house to around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. That can be done in one hour, maybe two with central air. That's all the AC needs to run and that's probably not tough on the bill.

Back