Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

• Hey, Guest! The July Jamboree Contest has begun! Please be sure to check the rules as further changes have been made to keep the contest fair! Good luck! >>>>Read more about this contest here!

Your tips for new forum owners?

Excommunicado

Signing off

Reaction score
There’s no denying that forums are not as popular as they once were and it is probably the hardest time to start one. So, what are some tips you would give to new forum owners, such as myself? Spill the beans!

When it comes to being a new forum owner, the advice I would give would be to never expect your forum to blow up overnight, that is going to take a lot of time and work.

Another piece of advice I would give to someone who is new starting out forums would be to ensure you have the time to dedicate not only to being active but to also especially in the beginning be able to be consistent with new content as well.

When it comes to being a new forum owner, the advice I would give would be to never expect your forum to blow up overnight, that is going to take a lot of time and work.
I agree. That is definitely the biggest hurdle for new forum owners. Forum owners will compare their forum to bigger forums or even newer ones that are super popular and if their forum isn’t as active as the ones they see, they get demotivated and a lot of forum owners will give up at that stage. I speak from experience. You have to be in it for the long run, regardless of short-term results, to succeed.

When it comes to starting a new forum, the first advise that I will have for anyone planning to start one is to focus on building first before thinking of making gains from it. It is never easy to start a forum now, as you rightly mentioned, and thinking of achieving success quickly may not really work the way that one should expect.

When it comes to starting a new forum, the first advise that I will have for anyone planning to start one is to focus on building first before thinking of making gains from it. It is never easy to start a forum now, as you rightly mentioned, and thinking of achieving success quickly may not really work the way that one should expect.
I agree. For example, putting ads on your site in its early stages is a good way to deter potential users.

I agree. That is definitely the biggest hurdle for new forum owners. Forum owners will compare their forum to bigger forums or even newer ones that are super popular and if their forum isn’t as active as the ones they see, they get demotivated and a lot of forum owners will give up at that stage. I speak from experience. You have to be in it for the long run, regardless of short-term results, to succeed.
Yeah and also quality over quantity. Don’t censor and allow a troll to continue just for activity. Ban and restrict when needed. I think a certain level of integrity makes for a healthy dynamic and fosters a sense of trust within the community.

Do not give up, it will take time to build a community and hard work. Add as much content as you can before opening the forum to the public, and if you feel like you need help, ask for content writers prior to opening your forum. Don't be too strict with your community either, though you shouldn't let people walk all over you either. Many people seek out forums to not only get away from censorship, but also build more meaningful relationships with others than on social media.

Do not give up, it will take time to build a community and hard work. Add as much content as you can before opening the forum to the public, and if you feel like you need help, ask for content writers prior to opening your forum. Don't be too strict with your community either, though you shouldn't let people walk all over you either. Many people seek out forums to not only get away from censorship, but also build more meaningful relationships with others than on social media.
I go on forums to avoid misinformation, trolls and the fake glamor posted on social media.

Don't expect members to just sign up overnight

I've been on so many forums where the owners are confident of success, and after about a week with only 6/7 members, they just abandon it

I've been on so many forums where the owners are confident of success, and after about a week with only 6/7 members, they just abandon it
Nah mate, you just gotta go with the flow and keep posting content.

When you’re coming up with boards first ask yourself “What is Life Without…” then make boards based on your answers 🙂

Pick a niche you're passionate & knowledgable about.
Don't have too many categories & forums when first starting out so your site doesn't look 'empty' or 'dead.

Pick a niche you're passionate & knowledgable about.
Don't have too many categories & forums when first starting out so your site doesn't look 'empty' or 'dead.
Or do, but spend time filling all the sections up. That will work the opposite way - make it look really active :p

Use a strong password so it can't be hacked. Don't forget spambot protection. Learn how to install a forum by hand in case there is no installer.

Some tips for new forum owners could be:
  • Focus on a specific niche to attract targeted members.
  • Promote your forum through social media and online communities.
  • Create engaging content and encourage discussions.
  • Offer incentives or rewards to active members/staff.
  • Be active as an administrator and foster a positive community environment.
  • Last but not the least, keep it real.
Good luck!

You have to see if you have run similar projects in the past or if it is the first time you run a forum talking about this subject. Because if it is the first time you decide to talk about something new surely the possibility that it works is 50 %. Unlike something you have run in the past, then you find everything easy.

This is it! Patience is needed for anyone who is looking at running a forum. What is the goal that you want to achieve, and why are you working on it. You need to have those strong desires before you can go on with running a forum. It is important to understand that the beginning is not going to be as rosy as we thought in our minds as well.

If you don't have passion to run a forum, it's better not be start. The feeling will fade off with time. There will be a time when challenges will strike. If you don't have passion, you'll be discouraged.

I am not in a position to give tips to new forum owners as I am struggling with my own forums despite running them for almost two years. You should be a successful forum owner to give tips to people. By the way, it is easy to give tips but difficult to implement those same tips on your forums.

Last edited:
I am not in a position to give tips because I do not have any experience with running a forum, but based on my personal experience, I think new users should be very careful about content quality. If your forum has quality content, you can expect traffic outside your user base.

Featured Articles

Back