Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

News Japan’s births just fell to a new record low. Tokyo hopes a dating app can turn that around

Sanjeev

Veteran

Reaction score
Japan's fertility rate, which has been dropping for years, has hit another record low as the government ramps up attempts to encourage young people to marry and create babies, even establishing its own dating app. A fertility rate of 2.1 is required to maintain population stability. Anything above that will result in population growth, with a high proportion of children and young adults, as seen in India and many African countries. However, in Japan, the fertility rate has been significantly below that stable threshold of 2.1 for half a century, according to experts; it dipped below that level when the 1973 global oil crisis plunged nations into recession and has never recovered.

In a world where most countries are battling with overpopulation, here comes Japan who are faced with serious underpopulation that they have to rely on a dating app to bail them out!
Truly life is not balanced.

Oh wow, I really hope the dating app helps them. Then I think there needs to be more orientation and awareness about marriage and child bearing as well.

Oh wow, I really hope the dating app helps them. Then I think there needs to be more orientation and awareness about marriage and child bearing as well.
To be honest, there's only so much a dating app can do to improve situation. What they need is to come up with different programs that connect people together, physically.

I feel the major problem there is cost of living which is very high that people fear that their expenditure will increase when they have a kid and they won't be able to meet it.

To be honest, there's only so much a dating app can do to improve situation. What they need is to come up with different programs that connect people together, physically.
Exactly, that's why am saying I hope it works because if one should be honest dating apps do not guarantee marriage or giving birth.

Exactly, that's why am saying I hope it works because if one should be honest dating apps do not guarantee marriage or giving birth.

I agree; dating apps don't guarantee the birth of a child. Yes, there are chances of a marriage or relationship, but I feel they should give some incentives to the family when there is the birth of a child. I think it will help.

I agree; dating apps don't guarantee the birth of a child. Yes, there are chances of a marriage or relationship, but I feel they should give some incentives to the family when there is the birth of a child. I think it will help.
True, this would encourage more people to get married and give birth. But while this would help, it also has it's down side. There are people who would take advantage of this, they will simply get married not out of love or even if they love each other, having a child would just be a means of getting some extra cash and they might not have an interest in bringing up the child the right way.

True, this would encourage more people to get married and give birth. But while this would help, it also has it's down side. There are people who would take advantage of this, they will simply get married not out of love or even if they love each other, having a child would just be a means of getting some extra cash and they might not have an interest in bringing up the child the right way.

But that will certainly help to increase the population of the country. It's very surprising because, while most countries are dealing with the problem of overpopulation, Japan is fighting to reduce its population. The population of younger people is decreasing at a fast rate.

It will still lead to an increase in the population. Whether the marriage is based on love or not is nobody's concern. The primary goal is to foster more population in the country.

It will still lead to an increase in the population. Whether the marriage is based on love or not is nobody's concern. The primary goal is to foster more population in the country.
True, that's one way to look at it, but on the long run, will it last? Due to this most child might grow up in a family where they are not loved or abused. Then when they grow up they might not have any interest in getting married or having kids due to trauma they have gone through as kids. This is back to square one. But all in all it's a good idea. Incentive is always a great source of motivation.

The cost of living in Japan is pretty high and really discourages young people to go for babies. What an irony it is. In a country like India, government is taking all possible measures to try to control population. And there in Japan, they are trying to encourage child birth.

I am annoyed by this because this is just draconian and dictatorial. Not everyone wants marriage or children.

I am annoyed by this because this is just draconian and dictatorial. Not everyone wants marriage or children.
This right there is why Japan is battling with underpopulation 😃. If a great percentage of the citizens reason like this, surely Japan will be severely dried up in the next century!

Hmm..I don't know about the culture in Japan but here in India , society doesn't accept the kids before marriages.

The cost of living in Japan is pretty high and really discourages young people to go for babies. What an irony it is. In a country like India, government is taking all possible measures to try to control population. And there in Japan, they are trying to encourage child birth.
That's just how life is, like most people say over here, life is not balanced. What others might consider a problem or burden might be what another is seriously praying for.

Yes, that's life. We face problems because of being overpopulated whereas there are countries like Japan which is facing problem of less population.

That's just how life is, like most people say over here, life is not balanced. What others might consider a problem or burden might be what another is seriously praying for.
Very true..and at times your problem or burden might be your greatest asset. For example, in India,the population is a big problem and a cause of many other problems. But at the same time, it is the biggest asset too. It's a huge resource for the country, a big workforce. And with a huge population of youth, it comes with it's own set of advantage. In Japan, most of the population ratio is moving towards elderly population.

Hmm..I don't know about the culture in Japan but here in India , society doesn't accept the kids before marriages.
I actually agree with India on that, Sanjeev. The only reason I would ever have married is if I had wanted a child or children.

Very true..and at times your problem or burden might be your greatest asset. For example, in India,the population is a big problem and a cause of many other problems. But at the same time, it is the biggest asset too. It's a huge resource for the country, a big workforce. And with a huge population of youth, it comes with it's own set of advantage. In Japan, most of the population ratio is moving towards elderly population.
I guess we can say that it goes both ways. Overpopulation can be a big asset to the country, but it can also be a problem too.

Back