Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

How does stress impact appetite and food choices?

Nomad

Veteran

Reaction score
Stress can trigger hormonal changes that influence appetite and food preferences, leading to cravings for high-calorie, high-sugar foods. Sometimes, emotional eating in response to stress can disrupt hunger cues and contribute to overeating or unhealthy eating patterns. Therefore, you must make stress management an important aspect of maintaining a healthy diet. Sometimes certain kinds of foods can also trigger stress.

Whenever I am stressed, it is something that affects everything that I do including my eating habit and it's the reason why I try as much as possible to make sure that I handle my stress properly by doing things when I am supposed to do it and also taking a break when I am supposed to because my body need to rest.

When I'm stressed, I don't even think about food at all because I should be focused on something else and I don't feel hungry or even disgusted with food at that moment

I eat more under stress. Especially spicy food. It helps keep energized and divert the focus.

Not always a good idea, but worth trying.

A person who is extremely stressed both physically, mentally and emotionally might choose to have a nap rather than eat. There are times when am so stressed mentally that I don't even feel like eating at all.

A person who is extremely stressed both physically, mentally and emotionally might choose to have a nap rather than eat. There are times when am so stressed mentally that I don't even feel like eating at all.
It is true that you don't want to eat at all, but I can't imagine that a person would want to sleep because of this, because it is simply impossible because the brain is thinking a lot and I think the heartbeat is accelerated and as for me it is impossible to fall asleep with such parameters

It is true that you don't want to eat at all, but I can't imagine that a person would want to sleep because of this, because it is simply impossible because the brain is thinking a lot and I think the heartbeat is accelerated and as for me it is impossible to fall asleep with such parameters
I only have that as an example or an illustration though. That in a situation like this, a person might even choose to get some sleep rather than going to eat. Meaning they would be willing to do anything else other than eating.

I eat more under stress. Especially spicy food. It helps keep energized and divert the focus.

Not always a good idea, but worth trying.
I definitely wouldn't endure this, but in my opinion, spicy food is a cool product for such situations, because it can bring you to your senses if you even become a little confused during stress

It is a habit that varies from person to person. Not every day we come across such situations. It also change as we grow up.

How much you are tired can dictate what you will like to eat at that time most time when I am really tired I will prefer to take a liquid diet like pap or any soft drink or even go for energy drink

Stress can trigger hormonal changes that influence appetite and food preferences, leading to cravings for high-calorie, high-sugar foods. Sometimes, emotional eating in response to stress can disrupt hunger cues and contribute to overeating or unhealthy eating patterns. Therefore, you must make stress management an important aspect of maintaining a healthy diet. Sometimes certain kinds of foods can also trigger stress.
Stress can trigger loss of appetite and I have experienced this several times, there are times I will spend much time cooking and lost appetite afterwards.

Actually, I think this depends on people especially ladies will complain that after a lot of stress in the kitchen they find it difficult to eat the food but this doesn't happen to me because no matter what I do I will still eat well

In my case stress can lead to loss of appetite. When I get back home after a long day at work, I would just want to collapse on the bed and sleep off, especially when I consider the added stress of cooking or going out to get food.

For me, stress doesn't have any impact on my appetite. When I have a stressful day, I would be more hungry and hence, my appetite will increase and I would want to eat more.

When I am stressed my appetite goes to nothing and I don't eat at all. The same thing applies when I am overly tired. But at least this keeps me lean and fit looking as I'll drop a couple of pounds, so I suppose there is a positive in that.

When I am stressed my appetite goes to nothing and I don't eat at all. The same thing applies when I am overly tired. But at least this keeps me lean and fit looking as I'll drop a couple of pounds, so I suppose there is a positive in that.
Practicing stress management techniques such as exercise, mindfulness, relaxation techniques, and seeking social support can help mitigate the negative effects of stress.
Always try and manage your stress levels, music helps me most of the time when I am stressed.

Always try and manage your stress levels, music helps me most of the time when I am stressed.
Music does help and I use it a lot. I also like to grab the bull by the horns and deal with it right away. Yesterday I was presented with a stressful situation. I picked up the phone, sent e-mails and talked to people in person. The sitution was resolved to my satisfaction and the stress is now gone.

Music has a powerful ability to uplift mood, promote relaxation, and provide a much-needed escape from daily pressures. What kind of music relaxes you the most? I love how you are building resilience from stress, and being proactive by sending out emails.

What kind of music relaxes you the most?
90% of my work is from home and I have the Stingray Music channel 'The Spa' going softly in the background while I work. I have it on only 8 decibels and it is soft instrumental music with no words and no commercial breaks.

Music has a powerful ability to uplift mood, promote relaxation, and provide a much-needed escape from daily pressures. What kind of music relaxes you the most? I love how you are building resilience from stress, and being proactive by sending out emails.
I can relate with the music aspect. It is criminally underrated in my opinion. Good music has the capacity to ease stress and calms the mind, that's why I have a tracklist of great songs that can function to that effect.

Back