Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Do you ride bicycle?

Great point but I have never had balance and don't feel that I can acquire it at my age.

Great point but I have never had balance and don't feel that I can acquire it at my age.
Oh! I see. Do you struggle with balance in general or only during bicycle ride? I am just curious to know if this lack of balance has any other impacts like some issues with hearing. Actually as a special educator, we see that children with poor balance have issues with hearing and auditory discrimination too. The vestibular fluid in our ears is the main organ for balance

I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for almost all my life. There has been phases where I have gone without sugar for years together. I was a strict vegan for almost five years with no sugar and processed food. I am very strict with my diet and exercise plan.
I am so sorry to hear this, I can imagine how it was like when you first started. How was it like at the early years, did you had an issues avoiding sugar at first, or did it come naturally for you?

I was unable to start with it till now so hopefully from tomorrow LOL I am good at making excuses but its not good as I need to start my weight lose journey

I am so sorry to hear this, I can imagine how it was like when you first started. How was it like at the early years, did you had an issues avoiding sugar at first, or did it come naturally for you?
It came naturally to me. I have few favourite desserts and I would treat myself with them once in a blue moon in moderation. I was never too much into sugar. So, it came easy. Yes, at times I have temptations. But I know how to control the portion size and when to include a little dessert. I have started making diabetic desserts. Moreover, I eat a lot of fruits and they are enough for my sweet cravings.

It came naturally to me. I have few favourite desserts and I would treat myself with them once in a blue moon in moderation. I was never too much into sugar. So, it came easy. Yes, at times I have temptations. But I know how to control the portion size and when to include a little dessert. I have started making diabetic desserts. Moreover, I eat a lot of fruits and they are enough for my sweet cravings.
Okay then, though for someone who really loves sugar, am sure it would be a lot harder for them to abstain from it. Anyways like you said, there will always be one from of temptation or the other as you go on.

Okay then, though for someone who really loves sugar, am sure it would be a lot harder for them to abstain from it. Anyways like you said, there will always be one from of temptation or the other as you go on.
I have seen people with very strong will who have done this. I have a friend who had a sweet tooth. But recently, after Covid, he got borderline sugar level. He became so conscious and it's been four years that he has taken any sugar. He has no diabetes and takes no medicine. He is disciplined with diet and exercise. It's unimaginable for everyone who knew hin from old days. None of his meal would be missing desserts. In fact his desserts were half of the meal.

I have seen people with very strong will who have done this. I have a friend who had a sweet tooth. But recently, after Covid, he got borderline sugar level. He became so conscious and it's been four years that he has taken any sugar. He has no diabetes and takes no medicine. He is disciplined with diet and exercise. It's unimaginable for everyone who knew hin from old days. None of his meal would be missing desserts. In fact his desserts were half of the meal.
That's true, in the end it all boils down to you knowing what you want and ensuring you make the sacrifices to achieve it. And being committed and dedicated in what you are after.

My balance problem stems from my autism, Arunima. I have always been this way.

My balance problem stems from my autism, Arunima. I have always been this way.
I could sense that. That's why I asked the question. I am working with autistic children and youths every day. And I have seen this being a problem with many of them

My dad bought a bicycle for us but I was too busy to learn how to ride it and at my old age, I don't know how to ride a bicycle. I am consoled though by the fact that I can drive a car very well.

My dad bought a bicycle for us but I was too busy to learn how to ride it and at my old age, I don't know how to ride a bicycle. I am consoled though by the fact that I can drive a car very well.
I know of few people who could not learn bicycle for various reasons. Some were scared or faced the issue of balancing. But they could learn driving later and are good drivers now.

I know of few people who could not learn bicycle for various reasons. Some were scared or faced the issue of balancing. But they could learn driving later and are good drivers now.
But isn't it embarrassing that a grown man like me can ride a bicycle? Now, I am just wondering who would teach my kids to ride a bicycle? Maybe, I would have to hire someone for that.

I will start soon, we are having very hot and humid weather these days so I am not doing any such physical activity that can make me sweat

But isn't it embarrassing that a grown man like me can ride a bicycle? Now, I am just wondering who would teach my kids to ride a bicycle? Maybe, I would have to hire someone for that.
Lol it's not embarrassing. Even myself I don't think I know how to ride one. While growing up I only rode the one with safety tires, so I guess I will have to learn again.

No shame in it, my friend. I can't cycle either. Love motorbikes though.

Off course yes and I am a bicycle owner right now and it's very interesting riding bicycle and for me it's part of the easy transportation now a days because everything it's expensive

Ohh yes that’s my first means of easiest transportation way now a days because everything is somehow expensive

I have a bicycle, but I don't ride it very often because I don't feel comfortable sitting on such a small saddle for a long time. I only use a bicycle if I need to go somewhere far, and mostly I walk

I still haven't started to ride the bicycle but I will try to start again as I feel it can help me get back to shape and I can plan to ride bicycle to work at least once a week

Back