Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Do you have to have the latest gadgets?

Ravenfreak

Active Contributor

Reaction score
Are you a person that has to have the latest gadgets or do you prefer to wait until the time is right to upgrade your phone or computer? I've had my iPhone XR for two years now and I don't really see myself upgrading until my phone starts acting up. I don't mind waiting to upgrade, since if you do wait you can get newer phones when they go on sale when a new model is released.

I’m an Apple fanboi. I have the iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB in the deep purple colour. Until the iPhone 15 release there is no better iPhone available.

It’s still in excellent condition. The battery lasts for more than a day of heavy use. The camera is brilliant. There is nothing I would improve on it.

I want the iPhone 15.

I don’t need to upgrade. I know the right thing to do is keep this 14 pro max for another year.

But I want the iPhone 15. There’s no reason for it. It’s illogical.

I want the iPhone 15.

I was like that when I had my student loan money - I bought the latest MacBook, latest iPhone, latest console, etc. I don’t currently have the money to be behaving like that anymore though. But even when I do start working, I don’t think I will be as erratic with my spending. It was only a phase! ;)

I have never been a freak when it comes to upgrading my devices. Any of my smartphone stays with me for at least 2 to 3 years before I will start thinking about changing it. I love Samsung Galaxy products the same way I love iPhone. I'm still using my S20FE till now.

Only thing I upgrade religiously is my Xbox, normally I just do the pay like 30$ a month for my phone so it’s not paid off for like 2 years then I just start over. It’s been a good schedule for me, the phone still has plenty of life and I normally hand it down to my mom.

As far as computers and laptops I’ve always bought laptops that were new but 2-3 years old at the time, and just recently bought a 2014 Mac mini so I don’t rush for computers or laptops, phone can do everything I do anyways.

Only thing I upgrade religiously is my Xbox, normally I just do the pay like 30$ a month for my phone so it’s not paid off for like 2 years then I just start over. It’s been a good schedule for me, the phone still has plenty of life and I normally hand it down to my mom.

As far as computers and laptops I’ve always bought laptops that were new but 2-3 years old at the time, and just recently bought a 2014 Mac mini so I don’t rush for computers or laptops, phone can do everything I do anyways.
Seems like you make smart choices! I also hand my old phones down to my mum.

As much as for things such as the Xbox I would love to have the latest console, in most cases I tend to wait and I am still waiting to upgrade to the Xbox Series X or S at the moment.

I have had times when I thought it would be wise to jump and upgrade but then something always comes up and I end up going back to waiting again.

Sometimes it is best to wait for the latest gadgets though I feel to ensure that any issues in the beginning are fixed when you decide to make the purchase.

No, I don't have the latest gadgets. I have more needs for money than upgrading my gadgets whenever a new one comes out.

I don't like getting the latest gadgets so I tend to stay on the ones below for a little longer just in case there are issues with the newer gadgets.
Right now I am still using an iPhone 11 and I have no issues with it so I probably won't upgrade at all for a while yet. Same with my Xbox. I'm still on the Xbox One S, which has no issues at the moment so it's not something I need to upgrade on.

I prefer to wait until the time is right to upgrade my phone or computer. It allows me to make a more informed decision based on my needs and ensures that I am getting the best value for my money. I usually upgrade when my existing device stops working or fulfilling my daily needs.

No, I don't have the latest gadgets. I have more needs for money than upgrading my gadgets whenever a new one comes out.
The reason why some people keep changing their current electronic gadgets when they are still fully functional is what I can't/don't understand. I can't imagine doing anything like that because I would only be spending money on what I shouldn't when there are more important things I can pay for.

I prefer to wait until the time is right to upgrade my phone or computer. It allows me to make a more informed decision based on my needs and ensures that I am getting the best value for my money. I usually upgrade when my existing device stops working or fulfilling my daily needs.
I think upgrading the computer or keeping Windows Update active will let you lose a lot of time as they will stop your work time and run the updates while you have limited time to do your work. You need to disable it with software. For mobile phones, things differ because you need the latest android version or applications doesn't work after a period with old android version.

I am not a person who always wants the latest gadgets, I buy gadgets only when I need it. I do not buy just because someone has already bought it. I am never guided by marketing gimmicks to make buying decision. Maybe I developed this habit because I never have ad a lot of money to spend on gadgets.

Last edited:
I buy the latest gadgets, the premium ones. But I do not update it every now and then.

I like to keep it as long as I can before I replace it. That is one reason I buy the latest so that it can keep going without getting outdated.

I never have the desire to buy the latest version of any gadget because it is very expensive at the beginning of sales, it can become cheaper over the years. I bought a samsung s21 after 4 months of release

I will definitely love to have the latest gadgets but am the type that is content with whatever I have. I don't kill myself over trying to have the latest things.

I'm not bothered about having to be up to date with the latest gadgets in town. As long as my current one is still working fine, I don't see the need to go for an upgrade. It is a waste of resources that could have been channeled to something better.

I'm not bothered about having to be up to date with the latest gadgets in town. As long as my current one is still working fine, I don't see the need to go for an upgrade. It is a waste of resources that could have been channeled to something better.
Pretty much the same thing as me, I don't really see a need in getting the latest gadgets when my current one is still capable of doing all that I need it to.

I buy a gadget when I need it and don't like to buy the latest one even if I don't need one, even if I wanted to buy like that my mom won't allow me to do that LOL

If my old gadget is still working perfectly well, and I can still use it to access everything I need to access, then I don't see a need of getting a new one, even if it's trending.

Back