Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Who should do the cooking?

eLdavis

Veteran

Reaction score
When it comes to cooking in marriage, there is this common belief that this job is ment for the wife alone. What's your take on this? Personally I do not think there is anything wrong with the man cooking as well. While growing up, there are times my dad would cook and there are days my mom cooks as well.

If I ever had a partner, I would never say what a girl should cook. These are very outdated stereotypes. I can cook perfectly myself, but if a girl could do it better, I would definitely help and not just wait for dinner to be ready

I tend to believed it's meant for a wife but it's not proper that she would be cooking alone all the time at times you have to handle it for her in other to emerges you are the best for your living

That's a very old traditional mindset and that became a norm in most cultures across the globe. But then cooking is a life skill and has nothing to do with gender. With changing socioeconomic conditions, many societal norms are also changing. Men and women are sharing the loads.

I grew up in a home where my dad does the cooking sometimes, there are times he tells my mom to just relax and he would handle everything. Seeing this made me develop a little bit of passion in cooking. I agree with you cooking has notting to do with gender @arunima25
Yea there are times the man can also take charge of the cooking @Amdhone3qq the funny thing is that some people still believe that only the woman should cook @deucher

I think that would depend on the personal perspective for that person. For me l can say that any person can cook. However that would depend on the willingness for the person on the context. Most people would leave that for the women.

I grew up in a home where my dad does the cooking sometimes, there are times he tells my mom to just relax and he would handle everything. Seeing this made me develop a little bit of passion in cooking. I agree with you cooking has notting to do with gender @arunima25
Yea there are times the man can also take charge of the cooking @Amdhone3qq the funny thing is that some people still believe that only the woman should cook @deucher
Actually you are right because they have less understandings in a situation were by they claim that they right which is wrong

It's unfortunate if people look at cooking as something less and demeaning. It's as important as any other work in the world. And no one should be ashamed to do it or even pursue it as a career. Many of the world's best chefs are male.

It's unfortunate if people look at cooking as something less and demeaning. It's as important as any other work in the world. And no one should be ashamed to do it or even pursue it as a career. Many of the world's best chefs are male.
Yes I came across a research that says men that knows how to cook tend to cook more than women. I don't see anything wrong in cooking. There are times the wife might be tired, the man can easily handle the kitchen.

Yes I came across a research that says men that knows how to cook tend to cook more than women. I don't see anything wrong in cooking. There are times the wife might be tired, the man can easily handle the kitchen.
Yes, gender roles need to change with changing socio economic conditions. If women can enter all the areas that was only for men like Army, work place, train drivers, pilots etc, why can't men enter the kitchen. Talents and skills are not biased to any gender, societal norms are. And societal norms change with changing times.

Yes, gender roles need to change with changing socio economic conditions. If women can enter all the areas that was only for men like Army, work place, train drivers, pilots etc, why can't men enter the kitchen. Talents and skills are not biased to any gender, societal norms are. And societal norms change with changing times.
Times are changing, a lot of people have began to change their mindset and i guess the kind of family we grow up I still matters. Like I grew up in a family where my parents made sure the boys and the girls did house chores. We where taught to cook as well. My mom said she does not want a situation where her sons would end up suffering our future wife, or our wife might use food to suffer us.

@eLdavis . It was the same with my family. We were brought up in a gender neutral way, sharing the chores and responsibilities. My brother and I were taught everything, be it cooking, finance, house chores etc as life skills. Yes, our area of interests varied. But we both can do the basic in each field to survive. My brother and I are both good cooks. So is my husband. He was brought up in a patriarchal family , but he has shared the load of work , right from the beginning of our marriage.

@eLdavis . It was the same with my family. We were brought up in a gender neutral way, sharing the chores and responsibilities. My brother and I were taught everything, be it cooking, finance, house chores etc as life skills. Yes, our area of interests varied. But we both can do the basic in each field to survive. My brother and I are both good cooks. So is my husband. He was brought up in a patriarchal family , but he has shared the load of work , right from the beginning of our marriage.
That's nice, I think this is the best way to raise your children. When I get married and have a family of my own, am going to ensure they can all do everything.

That's nice, I think this is the best way to raise your children. When I get married and have a family of my own, am going to ensure they can all do everything.
I personally feel that it is the best way to raise good human beings. Human beings who are comfortable in their skin, are confident and don't think that they are less or more than others. Trust me, if we get more and more people raised that way, world would be a much better to live.

Anyone can cook and I have seen my dad always helping my mom in cooking and that's why I feel everyone should learn cooking

I have a long weekend. Yesterday it was a holiday for everyone. Today my daughter had a holiday in her college but had to leave for internship work. My husband is working from home. He asked me to take some rest and relax while he cooked the breakfast and lunch. I could finish some pending work of my school that I could not do because of hurt thumb. My husband would often do that when he feels that I have a lot to take care of on work front.

Cooking should be done by the person who is free so if I am free then I should cook and if in future my husband is free then he should cook I am not even thinking of marriage but cooking is not for Females only

Back