Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

What is your relationship like with your parents?

Excommunicado

Signing off

Reaction score
As we grow older and start our own family, it’s common for us to become distant from our parents. Some people choose to live with their parents or at least include them in their daily lives. Everyone’s relationship with their parents is complex and different. What is your relationship like with your parents? Do you still live with them or have you moved out? How often do you see your parents? Do you miss them (if you don’t live with them anymore) or are you happy with things as they are?

I still live with my parents so I see them every day and naturally I have a good relationship with them. Eventually I want to move out, once I am married and financially settled, but I’m in no rush.

My relationship with my parents is 100% super. I love them so much. I know we had our ups and downs especially when I was in my adolescent age, children can be totally unbearable at such age. I'm no longer living with them but I make sure to visit them once in a while.

My parents showed me so much love and I love them more than anything I can think of. They never abused me one day. I was stubborn growing as a teenager but they were patient with me.

My relationship with my parents was that too good. They both divorced when I was 8 years old. It's been off and on with spending them with them. I never felt connected with both of them after the divorce.

My mother passed away a few years ago, and my dad did some very shady things so I have no relationship with my parents :(

My mom is older and has dementia. She is a nice woman who lives alone. My dad died when he was in his early 60s. Anyway, I got a long well with them, but they weren't perfect and had major flaws, but most people do

My parents are just there. They've done their part in my life which I'm returning the favour now that they are old. I can say we have a good relationship because we never fought in over a decade.

I have a very you'd relationship with my parents. They've been very supportive in any way they can for me and I really appreciate them for it. I know some people whom their parents never do anything tangible for.

My mother passed away a few years ago, and my dad did some very shady things so I have no relationship with my parents :(
Never follow in the footsteps of your father because doing shady things will never bode well for you on the long run. It is a shame for you to lose your mother. I know how painful mother's death used to be because they are always more closer to their kids.

I'm still not married yet so my relationship with them has not changed yet. I don't think there will ever be a change because I've never let things happening in life impact my relationship with my loved ones.

My mom is older and has dementia. She is a nice woman who lives alone. My dad died when he was in his early 60s. Anyway, I got a long well with them, but they weren't perfect and had major flaws, but most people do
I'm sorry to hear about your mother having dementia. This health problem of having either dementia or Alzheimer at old age is why I don't feel comfortable with becoming old. It's a very common illness for old people. How are you coping with your mother and her dementia? I know it's not going to be easy for you.

Like many teenagers, I had a bad relationship with my parents when I went to school, because I was forbidden to do a lot of things, sometimes so much that I don't think that all parents do that. However, when I grew up, my relationship began to normalize and I became much closer to my family

I was treated right by my parents. I never had the misfortune which so many teenagers and kids had with their parents or stepmother or stepfather. I had the best life growing up. This made me to love my parents so much. Now, I'm the one who's making them very happy because they truly deserve to be happy.

I never had much of a relationship with my parents. My mother died after giving birth to me and my father died when I was 5 years old. I wish I had more time with them growing up.

Even though I have a lot of disagreements with my parents and I am not happy with how they handled things in the past, I have a good relationship with my parents. I talk to them couple of times in a week, and when I talk I talk for over an hour. Everyone has shortcomings, so I have no complains with my parents.

I never had much of a relationship with my parents. My mother died after giving birth to me and my father died when I was 5 years old. I wish I had more time with them growing up.

It is very painful growing up as an orphan because a lot of kids who are not trained well will always make mockery of you. There is nothing you can do about that and also not even have someone to go and complain to. I know a lot of kids in my neighborhood who are orphans, I try to assist them in any way I can.

My relationship with my parent is awesome. I still live with my mother, and though there are times we have our various misunderstanding, but I guess that's pretty normal as a family. I still love and cherish her.

My relationship with my parents could not be worse. My father was the town drunk and my mother is nuts. They actually locked her up for awhile in the nuthouse. Needless to say I had a horrible childhood and left them both at age 16. I have as little to do with both of them as possible. I won't be attending either of their funerals.

It was hard for me to even read it. I am very sorry that this happened to you, I hope that you are all right now. I wonder if those circumstances made you much stronger than others?
My relationship with my parents could not be worse. My father was the town drunk and my mother is nuts. They actually locked her up for awhile in the nuthouse. Needless to say I had a horrible childhood and left them both at age 16. I have as little to do with both of them as possible. I won't be attending either of their funerals.

It was hard for me to even read it. I am very sorry that this happened to you, I hope that you are all right now. I wonder if those circumstances made you much stronger than others?
It made me very harsh and mechanical. I am a robot with very little human emotions with serious trust issues.

Back