Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

In some countries, it is traditional for women to change their name when they get married. What do you think about this?

Ginger

Veteran

Reaction score
I have seen this happening in India too and I find it weird but since it's their culture thing and their choice so I let them do what they want.

In some countries, it is traditional for women to change their name when they get married. What do you think about this?

It's not common in my family. But I am aware of school teacher who changed her name and she told me about it

No, I don't believe in it. Why should a woman submerge her identity just to follow tradition?

I am also in agreement. The name should not be changed unless she herself is interested to change her name for a reason

I don't think it happens in our culture, and I am against it. Why should someone change her identity after marriage? If someone forces a woman to do it, then she should fight for it. I don't think it can be forcibly done to a woman.

Women don't change their names but their surname. In my country it is part of our traditions. When a woman gets married to a man, she changes her surname to the man's surname.

Women don't change their names but their surname. In my country it is part of our traditions. When a woman gets married to a man, she changes her surname to the man's surname.
I guess we have the same tradition. We can only change our surname. In schools, program or any necessary things that demands surname, we can put the name of our husbands. It has been like this and nobody complains about it.

I guess we have the same tradition. We can only change our surname. In schools, program or any necessary things that demands surname, we can put the name of our husbands. It has been like this and nobody complains about it.
Same here, nobody complains about it as well, we are already used to it.

This does not make sense to me and I don't see why they need to change the name at first place

Here, in India, they would mostly change their surname and take their husband's surname. Now a days, many would add their husband's surname in addition to their maiden surname. While it's a commonly followed tradition, it's not a legal compulsion and can't be forced.
I am married for more than two decades and I still use my maiden surname. I have not taken my husband's surname, my daughters have taken their father's surname. I use my husband's surname unofficially like in my mail-id, but on all the official documents, I have my maiden surname. I didn't want to change and my husband was okay with it.

When the woman gets married to the man, she automatically becomes part of the man's family, hence the change of name. There are some women here who still retain their family name, they simply add their husbands name as one of their names.

Back