Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

How many people have you banned?

Ja sa bong

Veteran

Reaction score
Banning forum members is part of what goes on in forum management. There will always be members who wouldn't care about following the forum rules and regulations. They are just there to cause many problems to make the forum unbearable for others to use it.

How many of such members have you had? Did you end up banning all of them or were you able to make them change their ways?

I would try to make banning a last resort but sometimes you get people who are just destructive to the quality of the board for one reason or another. I would usually warn them in pm first.

So far, I have only banned one member on DH, if I can even call them a member. Their behaviour was bot-like and they posted a very strange propaganda message, which was also deleted. As for banning an actual person, not a suspected bot, I think a ban would be a last resort. It’s dependant on a lot of factors and each case varies.

I've only banned two members out of 1,500 members on my board, both of whom came to the board to post a spam advertisement and then left.

I have only bannned 3 members in my community because of their extensive spamming of the whole section in the forum.

I gave them multiple warnings to stop spamming the community but it was falling on deaf ears, so I had to ban them permanently.

I hate to say it but I have banned hundreds or even thousands of people on forums over the years. When Harry Potter was big, I ran one of the largest HP forums, and there were so many people posting spoilers. I think just on that one site I might have hit a thousand.

But I hate doing it.

Banning forum members is part of what goes on in forum management. There will always be members who wouldn't care about following the forum rules and regulations. They are just there to cause many problems to make the forum unbearable for others to use it.

How many of such members have you had? Did you end up banning all of them or were you able to make them change their ways?

There are members that I've banned on my forum. The thing is that they are spammers and they never want to learn how to stick to the rules of the group. That is where I always lose it and end up banning them. If a new user make an unintentional mistake, I can easily send a pm to correct them, but once they continue, I will have no option than to ban them.

There are members that I've banned on my forum. The thing is that they are spammers and they never want to learn how to stick to the rules of the group. That is where I always lose it and end up banning them. If a new user make an unintentional mistake, I can easily send a pm to correct them, but once they continue, I will have no option than to ban them.
I would never be against banning of forum members who doesn't have any regards for the forum rules and regulations. The reason why forums have rules and regulations is for the community space to be conducive for everyone to partake in what they like to discuss on. If a forum member wants to make that uncomfortable for others, it's right to ban him or her.

I've only banned two members out of 1,500 members on my board, both of whom came to the board to post a spam advertisement and then left.
If you are a free advertisement section you could move the thread to the section of advertisement and space banning the user instead. Moreover, if the member posts a reply to a thread you could split the thread discussion to a new subject. The last part, if user do this in multiple threads then I issue permanent ban.

I have not banned too many accounts but I have blocked multiple users on my forums. I block these users for violating various rules, including spam and low value content (one liner for example). I do not like seeing too many banned accounts on my forums, therefore, I block them instead of banning.

I have never done this, because if it is a real person, then you can simply explain that she is doing something that I am not interested in or do not like, and if it is just bots, then even if I block, new ones will appear and I have no desire to waste time on this

So far, I have only banned one member on DH, if I can even call them a member. Their behaviour was bot-like and they posted a very strange propaganda message, which was also deleted. As for banning an actual person, not a suspected bot, I think a ban would be a last resort. It’s dependant on a lot of factors and each case varies.
There are still users on the website that are posting few words comments and these are similar and looks spammy

Yes in the past I when I having my forum I ban a lot of people because they don't care about the rules and regulations and some are their just to create problems but before I banned you I have a habit of giving you the last warning

I do not like to ban genuine members. For mistakes, I prefer to contact them and resolve the issue.

But I have banned 20+ spam accounts only. Never banned any genuine accounts.

Back