Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Do you call it soccer or football? Do you care which name is used?

Ginger

Veteran

Reaction score
I am not sure why they have a different name for the same thing and I guess its only US population that call it Soccer and everyone other calls it Football.

The name football is a lot more common here so we call it that, but there are times where we still call it soccer.

I call it football and not soccer, and it hardly matters if it's called soccer or anything because even if the name is changed, the rules and the things remain the same. I think in most of the countries they call it soccer.

I am not sure why they have a different name for the same thing and I guess its only US population that call it Soccer and everyone other calls it Football.

Actually anyone you call it, was correct but football tends to be most popular name but usa, Canada, Australia tends to call it soccer

Football is the most popular game in the world. It does not matter what you call it and what's matter is its popularity in different countries

We call it football in my place and not soccer. There are people who are immigrants who call it soccer, but the majority always call it football.

Soccer is for the big boys and educated personnel. Someone like me who don't put too much meaning in things like that call it football and in my neighborhood, we use football in general.

Soccer is an Americanism, isn't it? Designed to differentiate between that sport where an oval shaped ball is typically thrown using hands opposed to the other game where a round ball is usually kicked using a foot.

Football. Anything that involves throwing rather than kicking a ball is not football.

I call it soccer since I live in the United States and we call the NFL football.

Being from England, we have always called it football and it makes more sense being the game of football is kicking a ball with your foot, only the goalkeeper and the player with the throw-in can use their hands.

I call it soccer, and I refer to the NFL as football. It makes it less confusing.

It depends on what we are talking about, since football or soccer is the one that is played with the ball and the legs and is also very different, on the other hand, American football is the one that is played with all the equipment so as not to get hurt and it is extremely different how it is played, but I don't understand why they are both called "football"

As far as I'm concerned, the real name is football and not soccer. I know that it has to do with how United States of America see it by calling a soccer but the whole world knows that football is the real name of what we are talking about when it comes to the sports.

Back