Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

What are the health tips you can give to online workers?

Kennedy

Active Contributor

Reaction score
Many people are working online lately because it's convenient. Some of them doesn't know how to manage how they work online. What are the health tips you can recommend for newbies interested in working online?

I also work mainly at night, so vision is very important because the screen does not always emit safe light. I use safety glasses for this. Also, I do regular warm-up, so sitting for a long time is very difficult and it can have a big impact on health

Learn when to stop and take a break. Don't use because you're working online and overwork yourself. It will cause you to break down and wreck your health.

Invest in a good chair and desk, if possible buy ergonomic working desk and chair. This will give you a good body posture and you can work continuously for longer hours. Instead of working on long session, try to work in short session of 2-3 hours and always stretch your body between your sessions

Make an effort to get out of your chair for a minute and stretch, walk, play with your pet, maybe walk the dog to the corner if you have one, just do something else to distract you for a few minutes.

People need to work something that they can afford their capacity of work. You cannot force your self of working something new and learn in short time frame a new framework and then client is unsatisfied because you said 3 years experience but just learned.

When you are working online as a freelancer, it is very important for you to know that it is not a must for you to do everything in one day. You are not a robot which means that your body can break down at any moment when you over work it. This is why you need to take a break once in a while so that your body will recover.

Invest in a good chair and desk, if possible buy ergonomic working desk and chair. This will give you a good body posture and you can work continuously for longer hours. Instead of working on long session, try to work in short session of 2-3 hours and always stretch your body between your sessions
This is the best advice I have seen because even now I have a bad chair and table and all this makes me very uncomfortable and it is not so easy to work because my back constantly hurts from such a chair and even warming up every 30 minutes does not help

Take care of your eyes, they are irreplaceable. Nothing less, nothing more.

A well lit room, a good monitor, a good eye protection gear. Do whatever you can to keep your eyes fresh and healthy.

One major health tips I would give is for them to take time off their screen. When we spend too much time looking at our screens, it tend to add a the eyes and even cause a strain on our brains.

One major health tips I would give is for them to take time off their screen. When we spend too much time looking at our screens, it tend to add a the eyes and even cause a strain on our brains.
This can be very useful because I often have moments when it is very late and I should suffer, but I still work because I did not have time in the day and also every time promising myself to go to bed next time, but I still continue to work, so I need this configure so that you can no longer control the computer

I'm an online worker and there are some very good tips on this thread. I never stay online for more than an hour at a time. I get up, walk around , get on the phone, or do some research etc.. Then I return to the screen.

I often try to distract myself from the screen, but most of the time it's still the phone and then I feel like my eyes hurt, so in order to really distract myself from the monitor for a while, I'd better go outside and try to leave my smartphone at home
I'm an online worker and there are some very good tips on this thread. I never stay online for more than an hour at a time. I get up, walk around , get on the phone, or do some research etc.. Then I return to the screen.

I got myself an app on phone which tells me to take regular breaks while on PC. It helps a lot as I get invovled and spend a lot of time otherwise.

Learn when to stop and take a break. Don't use because you're working online and overwork yourself. It will cause you to break down and wreck your health.
This is almost like the unwritten golden rule of working online. You need to understand when you should break. You just don't go on overworking yourself because you don't have a cap on the maximum hours you can work. Taking breaks is very important for working online.

The problem is, if you are doing coding, you feel like you are going to fix the issue next second. And that is going to stay for hours :D

The problem is, if you are doing coding, you feel like you are going to fix the issue next second. And that is going to stay for hours :D
I think it's not just for coding. When I write a text, I can also think that I will finish writing now and I can rest for a couple of minutes, but I have such a flow of thoughts that I simply do not stop for several hours so as not to lose my thoughts

Computers are like that for me. I never manage to get up on my own. It is like being swallowed by the monitor. But I learned to overcome it these days.

Stay hydrated drink a lot of wster. Learn when to stop and take a break. Don't over stress yourself because you're working online. You will break down and wreck your health. So work with caution.

Water and computer go hand in hand? Not sure, but staying hydrated is important of course.

I would say get some water every 30 minutes. That will take you away from the PC and fulfil the daily water intake quota.

Back