Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Paid staff or Free staff?

I hear you completely. Running a forum as a hobby is a fantastic way to build something special without the pressure of monetization. While offering paid positions might not be feasible right now, framing volunteer moderator roles as stepping stones to future paid opportunities is a great strategy. It incentivizes participation while acknowledging the valuable skills moderators develop. You've created a win-win situation for both the forum and potential moderators!

That's fine. I have never been a moderator on any site, so I don't know what drawbacks there are to being a moderator.

Even Free staff is good if you can find a person or persons who are really interested in the website and like to supervise/moderate and not even interested in earning for that

Even Free staff is good if you can find a person or persons who are really interested in the website and like to supervise/moderate and not even interested in earning for that

You were moderator on RIF. Was it a paid or free job there?

The question is that can you find such a person to do the job for you for free? Unless maybe you know the person physically, or is a friend of yours.

The question is that can you find such a person to do the job for you for free? Unless maybe you know the person physically, or is a friend of yours.

I don't think the site owner was his friend. He used to make lots of money during that period. That site was paying well.

It could be possible if moderation work doesn't take a lot of your private life, because sometimes it takes consecutive hours and then at this point a person could get discouraged because he will focus on something that brings money instead of being free staff. It differs from case to case.

If I happen to have a site today, I won't be using free staff. I would try as much as I can to have some incentive for my staff. It might not be huge but it won't be free.

That depends on the admin although I feel the staff should be paid and then they can work productively

It would be nice if the staffs paid but it is still understandable why most of them do not pay.

Free staff is effective if the content needs moderation is not much otherwise paid staff should be preferred

I am still fairly new to the forum world and I don't expect anyone working efficiently for free so they deserve the remuneration for their work.

I think that every site should pay it's staff, unless it is quite a small forum. A forum that is the size of this Discussion Hub should pay it's moderators if it has some because the work here is enormous.

When you are getting fairly paid for something then you work with confidence and provide results so moderators should be paid

A forum is best managed with staff members. Forum staff members can be paid or working as a volunteer without any pay.

When you launched your forum, did you start with paid staff members or those who volunteered to help you out? If you hired only volunteers, do you have any plans on paying them in the future?
Actually I don't really have much experience on how to managed forum but if I might have a forum I will like to start with paid staff members to help me out.

Back