Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Is e-sports a sport?

Mike

Off The Mark

Reaction score
This is a widely debated topic. Do you consider e-sports a sport? Why or why not?

Not in my opinion. A sport is a form of physical activity and playing video games, regardless of how competitively, is not a form of sport. It's a separate category and I don't think there's anything wrong with that - just not a sport.

Yeah, I honestly thought e-sports were video games, which I do not consider a sport.

Sorry gamers ☀️

No, I don't consider playing video games as a sports. No matter how they try to sell it, it's never going to fly with me. Just because they have sports in the e doesn't make it an actual sports.

It might be seen as a sports to some people because of how popular the gaming exercise have become. The amount of money they are making from it holds a good argument supporting it as a sports.

Yes, I consider e-sports a sport because they involve competitive gameplay, skill, strategy, and teamwork, and are recognized as a legitimate form of competition by international sporting organizations. People will start considering it as a sport in the coming years more and more as the gaming industry will boom like anything in most countries where it is not that respected or taken seriously.

In some e-sports, the player is required to move and then the AI software interprets his move and does the same with selected players either soccer or volleyball to reduce the fact of being sedentary and practice some sports in the middleware.

Not in my opinion. A sport is a form of physical activity and playing video games, regardless of how competitively, is not a form of sport. It's a separate category and I don't think there's anything wrong with that - just not a sport.
This is the same judgement I have for any activities which is being questioned if it's a sports or not. Any activity which doesn't take a lot of physical energy to be carried out can never register as a sports in my eyes. With this, e-sports can never be regarded as a sports to me.

This is the same judgement I have for any activities which is being questioned if it's a sports or not. Any activity which doesn't take a lot of physical energy to be carried out can never register as a sports in my eyes. With this, e-sports can never be regarded as a sports to me.

Why do you say this? Esports is evolving, and there is going to come a time when a lot of people will see it as one of the best sports around. It doesn't need the act of exerting physical energy for that to happen. They just need a lot of sponsors in the game to achieve that feat.

If you can include chess into a sports category, what's the problem with adding esports to the sports category? Well, I believe esports is also a sports and it should be included in major tournaments. I think esports was included in the recently held Asian games. I believe there was 8 different categories for esports

But they also get physically tired. Athletes have to move the mouse a lot and also control the keyboard and think about strategy, it is also mentally exhausting. And if they are professional players, they train all day and it's not easy because I tried to just play games from morning to night and then I was very exhausted

Yeah, I honestly thought e-sports were video games, which I do not consider a sport.

Sorry gamers ☀️

I don't think gamers should have anything to feel bad when e-sports is not regarded as a physical sports because it is not a physical sport as it is not involving around physical activity to be regardless as a sports. Those who are involved in esports will know that what is being said about that not being a physical sports is true.

A sport must have a reasonable expense of physical strength to participate and that doesn't hold with e sports. That means it is not a sports. Can you do e sports as a form of body exercise. All sports can be done by individuals as exercise.

A sport must have a reasonable expense of physical strength to participate and that doesn't hold with e sports. That means it is not a sports. Can you do e sports as a form of body exercise. All sports can be done by individuals as exercise.
And the training that athletes spend all day is also a physical load and during the game you need to think a lot about how to play better to win the game, so it may not be a full-fledged sport, but it is a sport

I think that it can be called a sport only half because they still hold some kind of competition and pay money for it, but it cannot be compared to a serious sport because they almost do not engage in physical activity and becoming an e-athlete has much more chances than a simple athlete, for example, a football player .

I consider e-sports a sport because it requires skill, strategy, and physical endurance, just like traditional sports. Professional gamers train rigorously, honing their reflexes and hand-eye coordination to compete at the highest levels.

When chess is included in sports, esports can also be included in sports. I do not see why esports cannot be included in sports. I think in some sports tournaments that have already included esports as one of the event category. But I don't play esports.

People tend to look sports as anything that requires physical action or activities, but I think it is more than that. I think e-sports is a sports activity because the people involved in this also go through training and put in some level of efforts as well.

No, I don't consider esports to be sports because we are not physically involved in them. We have the benefits of playing sports, whereas with eSports we don't get the benefits the benefits physically, but it causes a negative impact on our eyes and brains, in my opinion.

Back