Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

• Hey, Guest! The July Jamboree Contest has begun! Please be sure to check the rules as further changes have been made to keep the contest fair! Good luck! >>>>Read more about this contest here!

How To Improve Your Relationship With Your Parents

Yusra

Veteran

Reaction score
Improving my relationship with my parents has been a journey of understanding and empathy. I've learned to communicate openly and honestly, actively listening to their perspectives and sharing my own. I've let go of grudges and resentments, and focused on building a foundation of mutual respect and trust. By showing appreciation and gratitude, and making an effort to spend quality time together, we've strengthened our bond and created a more loving and supportive dynamic. It's never too late to nurture and grow our relationships.

When it comes to dealing with our parents, one have to be very patient with them. Most of the things they expect us to do is no longer what should be done again, but we have to use patience to help them understand that we have a better way of doing those things. After all, we are not kids anymore we are their adult children so we know the choices we can make for better lives.

There is notting like good old communication. If you want to improve your relationship with your parents, all you simply need to do is create a room for communication. Not just from your side or there's but from both parties.

Growing up, my relationship with my parents was kind of frosty but I think I have been able to build a stronger bond with the old folks as I have gotten older. We now relate based on mutual respect and that is what has built our relationship.

Parents need physical and emotional support as they age, and children should give it to them. Make an effort to see them at least once a day. Keep them from feeling isolated. You can establish a positive relationship with them in this way.

Parents need physical and emotional support as they age, and children should give it to them. Make an effort to see them at least once a day. Keep them from feeling isolated. You can establish a positive relationship with them in this way.
Very true, the older they become, the more they begin to act like children lol, so it's the duty of the children to support them in every aspect.

I already have a very good relationship with my parents and my siblings and I do have open conversations with them whenever I need to

I believe that this advice is for those children that have their parents living with them in the same area. What about the children who are far away, how will they be able to see their parents everyday?

In India the culture is we mostly stay with our parents or our parents stay with us so we are always in touch with them unless we move to another city, state or country

I believe that this advice is for those children that have their parents living with them in the same area. What about the children who are far away, how will they be able to see their parents everyday?

Those who live far from their parents can talk to them over the phone or interact with them through video calls. I repeat, parents want emotional support from their kids. They feel lonely when they grow old. I guess you stay far from your parents?

The less that I have to do with my so called "parents" the better. I left home at 16 and never looked back. My "father" and I never liked each other and that won't change. As to my mother, she calls me up maybe once a year, and is so hopped up on pills that it's hard to carry on a conversation with her. Meanwhile my "father" is probably passed out on the floor dead drunk when she calls.

We live on opposite sides of the continent and that is fine by me. I will *NOT* be attending any of their funerals when they finally kick off.(n)

Those who live far from their parents can talk to them over the phone or interact with them through video calls. I repeat, parents want emotional support from their kids. They feel lonely when they grow old. I guess you stay far from your parents?
Yes I stay far from my parents. It is like from one end of the world to other, so mobility not easy. But you're right, elderly people tend to look for attention from others.

Yes I stay far from my parents. It is like from one end of the world to other, so mobility not easy. But you're right, elderly people tend to look for attention from others.

How frequently do you talk to them?

Do you meet them on a regular basis? My parents stay in a nearby building. I don't meet them daily, but frequently, either they come to my house or I go to theirs.

When it comes to dealing with our parents, one have to be very patient with them. Most of the things they expect us to do is no longer what should be done again, but we have to use patience to help them understand that we have a better way of doing those things. After all, we are not kids anymore we are their adult children so we know the choices we can make for better lives.

This is true. We need to be patient with our parents and be able to understand that they mean well for us. Unless it is on a few occasions, most of the parents will always want their kids to excel in life, and I believe it is what matters so much.

In India the culture is we mostly stay with our parents or our parents stay with us so we are always in touch with them unless we move to another city, state or country
Yes I usually see this in some of the India movies I have watched before, and I think it's actually nice.

Yes I usually see this in some of the India movies I have watched before, and I think it's actually nice.

I think it's good to stay with the parents when they need us more in their old age. I don't know how the parents in their old age in foreign countries cope with us when they get ill or need some support.

I think it's good to stay with the parents when they need us more in their old age. I don't know how the parents in their old age in foreign countries cope with us when they get ill or need some support.
It's not easy though, this has to do with a lot of traveling in the side of the children.

I understand!!

I don't know which culture is better because both have their pros and cons. My parents don't stay in the same building in which we live, but they are nearby, so we can walk up to their home when they need us.

This is true. We need to be patient with our parents and be able to understand that they mean well for us. Unless it is on a few occasions, most of the parents will always want their kids to excel in life, and I believe it is what matters so much.
Very true, children need to understand that most of their parents actions are because they want the best for their children. No parents will want their children to fail in life.

Its like the culture here and unlike west our parents don't want us to work when we are studying and actually they motivate us to get the higher education and make our career

Featured Articles

Back