Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Debate How accurate is history?

Excommunicado

Signing off

Reaction score
The western portrayal of the current events in Israel and Palestine got me thinking about how accurate history is. Israel is being portrayed as the victim, which a little independent research will tell you, is far from the truth, and historically Israel will be remembered as the victim in the recent events.

As we all know, the victors write history, so how accurate is history? For example, World World 2: we are led to believe that one side was pure evil and the other side (US, UK & co) were the superheroes who saved the world. Similarly, we’re led to believe today that Putin is an evil person who woke up one day and decided to invade Ukraine, who are supposedly completely innocent.

There is a lot of propaganda, hypocrisy and false information which makes me question the accuracy of history. What are your thoughts? Is history truly based on facts or just the victor’s agenda?

It’s all lies but the truth will make its way to the surface at least it seems that people are starting to wake up

Honestly I feel like a lot of history was lost due to either people destroying the documentation or simply because it wasn't stored correctly. The history then gets warped and retold to the next generation of people. In this day and age with the internet, you would hope our current present which will be history in the future will be preserved with less bias, and more truth but I have a bad feeling it won't be. :\

Honestly I feel like a lot of history was lost due to either people destroying the documentation or simply because it wasn't stored correctly. The history then gets warped and retold to the next generation of people. In this day and age with the internet, you would hope our current present which will be history in the future will be preserved with less bias, and more truth but I have a bad feeling it won't be. :\
The government and media still control the narrative and their word for it is the official one unfortunately. Other accounts of current events are either overshadowed or censored.

I never trust the media. After seeing lots of manipulation on the Israel-Palestine conflict (which is not even remotely recent), how would you react if someday someone just takes over your country claiming that "they are the people chosen by god"?

I'm not really siding with anyone here, the conflict is bigger than us.

What is in history books is mostly one-sided. I have found out interesting facts on people & places later in life when I didn't learn it in school. The Media is for the Wow factor & entertainment. It's also biased. It's quite sad that they can't be impartial. Report the facts. Period.

Nazi Germany was quite wicked. Nonetheless, though, the UK and France ruled empires and the US had racial segregation. Anyway, though, Nazi ideology was so hideous and forceful it had to be stopped, even by allying with Joseph Stalin, a tyrant just as evil as Hitler.

The bottom line for me, lol, is I simply want America to be free, not the slave of Germany or whoever.

Last edited:
I understand that history can be distorted to suit an agenda but they are empirical evidence to back up the truth that Israel had been victims. No one is saying Ukraine is a victim either but everyone is condemning the resort to war by Putin. History might not always be true for some instances, I agree.

It is the victor who writes history. What gets me is how the British claim to have defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. Bullshit, Wellington was beat then the Prussians under Blutcher showed up at the end of the day and defeated the worn out French who had been fighting for 12 hours.

History is written in the perspective of winners as losers do not survive to write their history, therefore, there is always errors in history, history is now exaggerated document. Today, everything is interpreted in the Western perspective that undermines history of other cultures and countries.

Same thing.
History is not nutral nowadays, many people tried to destroy evidence of what they don't like, and even made fake theories with no historic record, only to promote their agenda. Truth is strong, it will fight back

The western portrayal of the current events in Israel and Palestine got me thinking about how accurate history is. Israel is being portrayed as the victim, which a little independent research will tell you, is far from the truth, and historically Israel will be remembered as the victim in the recent events.

As we all know, the victors write history, so how accurate is history? For example, World World 2: we are led to believe that one side was pure evil and the other side (US, UK & co) were the superheroes who saved the world. Similarly, we’re led to believe today that Putin is an evil person who woke up one day and decided to invade Ukraine, who are supposedly completely innocent.

There is a lot of propaganda, hypocrisy and false information which makes me question the accuracy of history. What are your thoughts? Is history truly based on facts or just the victor’s agenda?

Never mind about the historical accuracy. This is just the usual reaction from most people. The aggressor is NEVER the victim. If you're minding your business, celebrating a holiday with family and friends, and somebody starts shooting … whoever got shot AT is the victim.

As the shooter you could say: Those people have been messing with me for a long time, they provoked my anger, and I had enough!

You could say that … and it could very well be true. But nine times out of ten, nobody is going to sympathize with you.

History is written by winners, mostly winners of war. Don't expect them to be truthful and kind. They make sure the world talks about them even if they are gone.

Never mind about the historical accuracy. This is just the usual reaction from most people. The aggressor is NEVER the victim. If you're minding your business, celebrating a holiday with family and friends, and somebody starts shooting … whoever got shot AT is the victim.

As the shooter you could say: Those people have been messing with me for a long time, they provoked my anger, and I had enough!

You could say that … and it could very well be true. But nine times out of ten, nobody is going to sympathize with you.
Yeah, that's true. There's always a justification for aggression, notably, the idea that if action wasn't taken, the other guy would viscously attack them. Anyway, of course, this is such a "I can't find the word to say." argument. What word am I looking for?

I don't think history can ever be accurate, besides the fact that history is usually written by the victors, whoever writes it usually writes it based on their understanding and knowledge. Which means there might be things left out.

Back