Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Highway collapse kills dozens in southern China

Sanjeev

Veteran

Reaction score
Many people were killed when a highway in southern China collapsed early on Wednesday, sending vehicles crashing down a hill, according to Chinese official media.

According to state broadcaster CCTV, at least 36 people died after an area of the expressway linking Meizhou city with Dabu county in Guangdong province crashed.

While rescue operations continued on Thursday, some 23 vehicles had been discovered as reported by CCTV, and 30 people with injuries were still in stable condition at the medical center.

That's sad news. Deep condolences to the family of the victims. Who knows what could have caused the highway to collapse? Anyways, I'm sure the situation will be looked into and will be fixed soon. But it wouldn't bring back those that have died...

This was a result of flood, right? However, I have also read about something bad happening in China. It is reported that Chinese cities are sinking, thanks to excessive pumping of ground water. With rapid development, Chinese are pumping ground water in such a way the it is pushing Chinese cities down.

That's so sad, I can imagine what the family of these people would be going through right now since it happened so suddenly.

In a country of 1.5 billion 36 people is not even a drop in a large tank, but an overview and testing of China's bridge infrastructure is no doubt needed.

Back