Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Debate Has tipping gotten out of hand in the US?

Jayson

Active Contributor

Reaction score

This article notes the origin of tipping. However, I'm not sure if that's accurate. Anyway, it does get out of hand because it is extended to restaurants without waitstaff.

I don't live in the United States so am not so sure. Over here though I think in some areas it has gotten at of hand as most people now see it as their rights to always be tipped.

I don't know the culture in the US, but here in India, I rarely see people asking for a tip. They don't think that it's their right. Of course, they will stare at you once you leave the table, as if they are asking you for a tip.

Yes, I think I have heard of complaints in the US that people now see tipping as an entitlement. Like if you refuse to tip after receiving a service, then you'll be considered a wicked person.

That's sad!! People consider it their right to get the tip even if they don't provide the service, which can be appreciated. I am very particular and never tip a person if I don't like the services. It doesn't matter if the person thinks I am a wicked person.

That's sad!! People consider it their right to get the tip even if they don't provide the service, which can be appreciated. I am very particular and never tip a person if I don't like the services. It doesn't matter if the person thinks I am a wicked person.
That's what I do too. You can't force me to tip you, what if I didn't like your service? And I don't care what anyone will think, it is my own money after all.

Yesterday only, I went to a restaurant where the waiter asked me to add the tip to the bill. It looked awkward, but I had to add it because I didn't want to make a scene there. It's strange how people say this so bluntly.

I do like to tip, wether those people deserve it or not. It is just a way of giving to the society.

Yes, it has. I have been living in the United States for over 30 years and I can tell you that in the last 3 years or so it seems that EVERYONE asks for a tip. I don't mind tipping the wait staff at sit down restaurants, hairdressers, taxi drivers, hotel staff , etc, but now every single store or deli I go to has a tipping box! It's a bit much.

It now seemed like everyone is entitled to asking for tips. If you don't tip, you will be frowned upon! Make it make sense.

Yes, I think I have heard of complaints in the US that people now see tipping as an entitlement. Like if you refuse to tip after receiving a service, then you'll be considered a wicked person.
In some cases, tipping is understandable. For instance, waitstaff are not paid minimum wage in my US state.

In some cases, tipping is understandable. For instance, waitstaff are not paid minimum wage in my US state.
Oh, you mean they get paid less than minimum wage? I thought such only happens in my country. Is it legal to pay less than minimum wage over there?

Oh, you mean they get paid less than minimum wage? I thought such only happens in my country. Is it legal to pay less than minimum wage over there?
If they are waitstaff.

It is illegal to pay someone less than the minimum wage decided by the government. But that's sad; people don't complain because of the fear that they may lose the job. We also have such cases in the country, but they are mostly in small-scale industries.

It is illegal to pay someone less than the minimum wage decided by the government. But that's sad; people don't complain because of the fear that they may lose the job. We also have such cases in the country, but they are mostly in small-scale industries.
It's not illegal in the US under certain circumstances or people would have been busted by now and major restaurant chains do it.

I don't mind tipping when I feel that the person helping me has gone above and beyond, but just tipping because they handed me a soda is unreal. It is getting quite out of hand.

I'm guessing those who are under qualified for the job will have no choice but to settle for below the minimum wage.

In the US, most waiters and waitresses earn less than minimum wage, with tips being their main source of income. When I dine at a restaurant, I always plan to leave a tip based on the quality of service. For example, I recently visited a steakhouse where the waitress exceeded my expectations by frequently checking on us and refilling my drink before it was empty. I tipped around 25% for her exceptional service. Conversely, at another restaurant, the waiter rarely checked on us, leaving me without a drink for a significant portion of the meal. In that instance, I left a tip in the 10-12% range due to the poor service.

In the US, most waiters and waitresses earn less than minimum wage, with tips being their main source of income. When I dine at a restaurant, I always plan to leave a tip based on the quality of service. For example, I recently visited a steakhouse where the waitress exceeded my expectations by frequently checking on us and refilling my drink before it was empty. I tipped around 25% for her exceptional service. Conversely, at another restaurant, the waiter rarely checked on us, leaving me without a drink for a significant portion of the meal. In that instance, I left a tip in the 10-12% range due to the poor service.
So either way, you still left a tip. If it was me I will never bother leaving any tip in the second situation because the waiter didn't do anything impressive.

Hmm..that's a point. But why did you tip even when the service was not as per your expections. Was it necessary to pay 10-12%.

Back