Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Do you go for a brand or buy a local product?

Sanjeev

Veteran

Reaction score
The majority of consumers prefer to purchase products under popular brands since they promise quality performance, service after the sale, etc. On the other hand, local products may not guarantee the same level of performance as well-known brands. Still, we must encourage local products in order to boost the economy. What would you say? Do you purchase goods made locally?

I'm not much into buying local products, but I do like local restaurant chains or local independent restaurants. For instance, here in Nashville, there are lots of food carts and the food is as good as say McDonalds or better and where I lived before, my home area (East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia) had some good local chains and independent restaurants. For instance, there was this chain called Pal's (mostly burgers and hot dogs) and it was even named one of the best fast-food restaurants in the country.

I don't mind buying a brand or a local product, the most important thing for me is that I can afford and it is durable. If a local Product would last me more and it is something I can afford, then why not go for it?

I follow a certain brand for a few items and try to stick with these and for other items I don't mind going for a new brand but mostly I am buying an established brand

I don't mind buying a brand or a local product, the most important thing for me is that I can afford and it is durable. If a local Product would last me more and it is something I can afford, then why not go for it?

Local products are cheaper than branded products, but there is no guarantee that their performance matches that of the branded products. That's the problem. There were lots of Chinese products in the market a few years ago; they were cheaper but of poor quality. Most of the people have stopped buying them now.

I am not buying any Chinese products from a long time now, we do have many other options available and can easily switch to them

Local products are cheaper than branded products, but there is no guarantee that their performance matches that of the branded products. That's the problem. There were lots of Chinese products in the market a few years ago; they were cheaper but of poor quality. Most of the people have stopped buying them now.
True, most people go for local brands simply because it is cheaper compared to the branded ones. Then there are still cases where this local product tend to even perform better compared to these branded ones.

Absolutely, some local brands are as good as the established brands. I have used such products and have noticed the same. But still, I don't prefer them because they don't offer good afternoon sale service.

I really don't care about brands, all I'm after is quality of the product. So if a local product will serve me more than the brand one, I will go for it.

@Teegold even if after sale service is not good , will you buy a local product?

I really don't care about brands, all I'm after is quality of the product. So if a local product will serve me more than the brand one, I will go for it.
Exactly, that's the key point here. I gave used some local products that are way better than most of the big brands we have there.

Cost of the product is important, no one would like to buy a costly product and giving the same performance as the local product. The cost of a product is the major factor which decided the purchase.

I know someone who doesn't really care about the cost though, he prefers buying branded products alone. I gets he takes pride in people seeing him use these brands.

I have started try tomato ketchup from brands we never used to try and even tea leaves too and a few other things and its all good

@Teegold even if after sale service is not good , will you buy a local product?
Well, good after sale service is also part of the quality ya product. So if it has a bad after sale service, I will not go for it, however low the price may be.

Well, good after sale service is also part of the quality ya product. So if it has a bad after sale service, I will not go for it, however low the price may be.

That's wise!!

Many people don't consider after-sales service while buying a product, and later on, they get into trouble when they don't even find the spare parts of that product. And they have to buy a new one to replace it.

I definitely will go for the brand because they are already well known and it is certain that their products will be standard.

I definitely will go for the brand because they are already well known and it is certain that their products will be standard.
That's actually how you feel? Wouldn't you agree that there are some locally made products that also have good quality and they are cheaper?

I buy brand-name things because it's like you wrote about reliability. Often, local companies cannot guarantee quality for low prices or, on the contrary, guarantee the best, but the prices are such that I cannot afford it. And brands are the golden mean

That's actually how you feel? Wouldn't you agree that there are some locally made products that also have good quality and they are cheaper?
That is true, but it is still a matter of taking chances. The probability of that happening in a big brand product is very low compared to local ones.

Back