Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Can gambling make one rich?

Teegold

Veteran

Reaction score
Many people who gamble have one goal: to become rich. No risk, no rewards, they usually say. But looking at the statistics of people who have become millionaires from gambling, it is safe to say that hoping to get rich from it is mere wishful thinking.
If care is not taken, if can worsen one's financial situation.
Do you gamble? If yes, do you think it can make you rich?

There have been cases where gambling has made a lot of people rich, but not everyone has been that lucky so I do not consider gambling as a way to get rich.

There have been cases where gambling has made a lot of people rich, but not everyone has been that lucky so I do not consider gambling as a way to get rich.
Gambling has made a lot of people rich? I'm not so sure about that, because if you compare the percentage of people that have been rich because of gambling to those that have not, you will see that the number is very small.

When I say a lot of people I don't really mean it in a large sense. But I have seen various cases where people have made a lot from gambling but in reality does who loose are 10 times more than does who gain.

When I say a lot of people I don't really mean it in a large sense. But I have seen various cases where people have made a lot from gambling but in reality does who loose are 10 times more than does who gain.
Exactly my point. It is true that there are people who became rich because of gambling, but the figure is very small compared to those gambling has wrecked.

Another issue is even does who where able to cash out big, did they really enjoy their money? I have seen cases where some put the money into gambling again hoping to get more but end up losing it all, going back to square one.

No, regular gambling won't make anyone rich. Sometimes risks make a person bankrupt. We should not make gambling a habit, as many homes have been destroyed because of it. I bet on sports online, but that's only for fun; I don't put a lot of money into it.

Gambling is something I have never tried before and I don't want to even try it at all. I have seen so many people who feel they just want to taste, only to end up being addicted.

I also have seen lots of people who have lost lots of money in gambling, they keep on putting money and taking risks and ultimately lose their money.

No, regular gambling won't make anyone rich. Sometimes risks make a person bankrupt. We should not make gambling a habit, as many homes have been destroyed because of it. I bet on sports online, but that's only for fun; I don't put a lot of money into it.
It is good that you set a boundary when it comes to betting. Betting should be just for fun, one should gamble with the money you won't feel bad about losing.

I have lots of colleagues here who put in huge money, and very rarely it happens that they win; most of the time they lose, but still they bet just in the hope of winning some large money in the future.

I have lots of colleagues here who put in huge money, and very rarely it happens that they win; most of the time they lose, but still they bet just in the hope of winning some large money in the future.
I guess old habits die hard. They have become one with the habit of gambling, so that addiction is making it very hard for them to put a stop to it.

Like they say, prevention is better than cure. It's best I don't try it at all.

I guess old habits die hard. They have become one with the habit of gambling, so that addiction is making it very hard for them to put a stop to it.

Yes, this is a bad habit. I remember in my childhood, we had a neighbor who used to buy lottery tickets, and he never won anything from them. We used to spend lots of money on buying these tickets, ultimately going bankrupt after a few years.

Yes, this is a bad habit. I remember in my childhood, we had a neighbor who used to buy lottery tickets, and he never won anything from them. We used to spend lots of money on buying these tickets, ultimately going bankrupt after a few years.
The worst thing is that that neighbor of yours might have a family that is going hungry, but he would rather spend the money buying useless tickets.

The worst thing is that that neighbor of yours might have a family that is going hungry, but he would rather spend the money buying useless tickets.

That's the bad thing about gambling. We don't think about our family. We may be requiring a lot of money for the gamble. I have never tried it, as I am not in a condition to take risks for money.

These people who go into gambling end up withdrawing from their families. I have seen a lot of cases where families were destroyed due to gambling.

Gambling always destroy families. There is no example where a family had grown with the money they earned through gambling.

Back