Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Gaming What is a MMORPG video game?

eLdavis

Veteran

Reaction score
From time to time I usually come across the word MMORPG and I have always wondered what it meant. I know role playing games, or real time strategy games, but not MMORPG games. Am guessing it has to do with games like PUBG?

MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game such as Runescape. A key difference between MMORPGs and regular RPGs includes the online aspect. RPGs don't need to have an online aspect and are meant as an individual adventure. MMORPGs revolve around having many players, usually working together. I would say RPGs are more story-driven than MMORPGs, not to say that there isn't a story in them.

PUBG doesn't really have role-playing aspects since it's mostly focused on combat. But I guess there is an MMO aspect to it, maybe not in the traditional sense, since there can be many players online.

MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game such as Runescape. A key difference between MMORPGs and regular RPGs includes the online aspect. RPGs don't need to have an online aspect and are meant as an individual adventure. MMORPGs revolve around having many players, usually working together. I would say RPGs are more story-driven than MMORPGs, not to say that there isn't a story in them.

PUBG doesn't really have role-playing aspects since it's mostly focused on combat. But I guess there is an MMO aspect to it, maybe not in the traditional sense, since there can be many players online.
Oh wow, thanks for the explanation. I think I understand better now.

Back