Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

What's the most interesting cultural difference you've encountered?

Yusra

Veteran

Reaction score
One fascinating cultural difference I've encountered is the concept of "hygge" (pronounced hoo-gah) in Denmark. It's a cozy, contented feeling that prioritizes warmth, comfort, and togetherness. Unlike the fast-paced, individualistic culture I'm used to, Danes cherish slow, meaningful moments with loved ones, often over candlelit dinners or cozy coffee dates. This emphasis on warmth and connection has taught me to appreciate the beauty of slowing down and savoring life's simple pleasures.

What's the most interesting cultural difference you've encountered?

In my country we usually address people that are older than us by honorable titles like Mr, Mrs, uncle, auntie, bro, sis and the likes. We don't call them by their first name. So when I travel out of the country I was shocked to find out that even a small boy can call an older woman by her name, first name at that!

I think it's the different eating habits, over here we have so many cultures and all of them have different eating habits and even food.

We think it is disrespectful to address people by their names in Nigeria. You dare not call your teacher, Mr. John. That would be viewed as an insult. But that is how elementary school kids call their teachers in US and the west.
In my country we usually address people that are older than us by honorable titles like Mr, Mrs, uncle, auntie, bro, sis and the likes. We don't call them by their first name. So when I travel out of the country I was shocked to find out that even a small boy can call an older woman by her name, first name at that!

Another one for me would be language. Where I schooled, their official language is French. It was pretty strange since very few people could speak English.

We think it is disrespectful to address people by their names in Nigeria. You dare not call your teacher, Mr. John. That would be viewed as an insult. But that is how elementary school kids call their teachers in US and the west.
Exactly. It is a rather unnecessary culture if you ask me, but it is what it is. I guess it can be counted among the things that differentiate our culture from the western world.

Back