Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Debate Student loan forgiveness for high grades?

Speaks

Active Contributor

Reaction score
Should there be student loan forgiveness for people who make high grades? The higher their grades the less they have to pay back?

I think that would be a great thing to implement in the education system. This way every student will try to study hard and get better grades so that they have to pay less at the end of the semester or whatever.

That’s the point of it to get people to actually strive to get good grades instead of being punished with debt when they have made straight A’s

That’s the point of it to get people to actually strive to get good grades instead of being punished with debt when they have made straight A’s
One more way of looking at this would be, What if the students just mug up things without actually understanding them just to get good grades? This way, they might end up getting good grades, but they won't have any value. I've seen class toppers who used to mug up an entire math problem, and when you ask them to explain, they can't. Today, those toppers are not doing that great whereas the average students are doing comparatively far better. The point is, just in the race of getting good grades to be less in debt, the value of education should not be lost.

One more way of looking at this would be, What if the students just mug up things without actually understanding them just to get good grades? This way, they might end up getting good grades, but they won't have any value. I've seen class toppers who used to mug up an entire math problem, and when you ask them to explain, they can't. Today, those toppers are not doing that great whereas the average students are doing comparatively far better. The point is, just in the race of getting good grades to be less in debt, the value of education should not be lost.

This is an entirely angle to look at it. It is not everyone who can be able to memorise those words said that the classroom. So, what is the point of not rewarding the best ones that got good grades because you felt they didn't understand it deeply? I am in support of giving them a reduction for loans taken.

So how would the loan providers make back their money. Students loan is a business and not some social program that people should be waived from the obligation of paying back because of performance. Businesses are run with logic rather than sentiments and this right here is a sentimental thought process.

The U.S. is going broke and has never been as far in debt as it is now. The government needs to be spending less not more.

I have seen it first hand. People do not value free education. Not all, but some people do not deserve that. If it is 100% based on merit, then I fully support giving free education.

I won't say that the loan should be completely written off but the amount to be repaid can be reduced for students that are performing consistently at a very high level. The bar should be so high to ensure highly deserving students enjoy the incentive.

That would be a nice initiative as it will encourage students to work harder. It will just be like giving them some kind of discounts as long as they perform well.

Give them more time, don't charge interest or give some discount on interest. Let them find a job that is good enough for them to repay the loan. Many options are there.

Give them more time, don't charge interest or give some discount on interest. Let them find a job that is good enough for them to repay the loan. Many options are there.
I think this is exactly what my country wants to do. There have been cases of students dropping out from school due to financial constraints. The student loan will make it possible for such ones to comfortably finish their schooling.

I won't say that the loan should be completely written off but the amount to be repaid can be reduced for students that are performing consistently at a very high level. The bar should be so high to ensure highly deserving students enjoy the incentive.
I agree with that but anyone opining that it should be forgiven entirely is not a financially and business savvy person. Interests could be reduced but not completely written off. That would just be adding to the recurrent expenses of government.

Though this is a good one to support does who study hard when it comes to education but this system can also be rigged. What about people who cheat to pass their exams with high grades? It might even encourage more people to cheat just so they can get loans.

Back