Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

MyBB

Excommunicado

Signing off

Reaction score
Have you ever used MyBB? What are your thoughts on MyBB? If you haven’t used it before, would you?

Back in the day, I used MyBB for all of my forum projects. It was a great free forum software - up there with the very best. Sadly, it hasn’t been updated for almost a decade and once you use a software that has kept up with the times like XenForo, it’s hard to justify going back to MyBB. If MyBB 1.9 does ever come out, I will definitely try it out though.

I used to use it and really enjoyed it but not a lot of the themes are mobile responsive :/

I used to use it and really enjoyed it but not a lot of the themes are mobile responsive :/
The software should be mobile responsive by default in 2023, which I think is something they intended on adding in MyBB 2.0 originally and probably also MyBB 1.9 but they never released either. MyBB haven’t kept up with the times sadly.

It's okay but I prefer SMF and even phpBB over MyBB. It's not mobile friendly which is odd since almost every other forum software is mobile friendly and that even includes free forums like Forumotion. I'm honestly surprised it's still not mobile friendly out of the box.

The software should be mobile responsive by default in 2023, which I think is something they intended on adding in MyBB 2.0 originally and probably also MyBB 1.9 but they never released either. MyBB haven’t kept up with the times sadly.
This is why a lot of theme authors for MyBB transitioned to paid software. They probably gave up with the lack of basically anything with MyBB.

It can be a good choice as it has a lot of free add-ons. Nonetheless, though, mobile responsiveness is a problem so you might want to invest in a paid theme, but consider the advantage, you don't have to pay for the software. Anyway, there are some free responsive themes, though.

Unfortunately, I haven't got any thoughts on MyBB because I've never used the software for anything in terms running a forum. I've used ProBoards, Xenforo and Invision Community.

Currently, I am using MyBB for a forum. I have been using it for more than a year and I really like it. It is easy to use and beginner friendly. However, the site does not look good on mobile devices, most themes are not mobile friendly. This is the only complain I have with this open source forum software.

Currently, I am using MyBB for a forum. I have been using it for more than a year and I really like it. It is easy to use and beginner friendly. However, the site does not look good on mobile devices, most themes are not mobile friendly. This is the only complain I have with this open source forum software.
Even if you switch to the desktop version on a mobile phone to see MyBB as on your desktop from the mobile browser, it will consume a lot of internet data while the internet provider offers costly mobile data per gigabyte.

Even if you switch to the desktop version on a mobile phone to see MyBB as on your desktop from the mobile browser, it will consume a lot of internet data while the internet provider offers costly mobile data per gigabyte.
I use broadband internet so I am not aware about data consumption by MyBB. I use MyBB on my computer and I have no issue. BY the way MyBB is not my favorite open source forum software, I like SMF more than MyBB or even phpBB. I am yet to explore additional features available on MyBB.

Back