Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

News Iraq proposes bill to lower marriage age for girls to 9, sparks concerns

Sanjeev

Veteran

Reaction score
Iraqi individuals, mainly activists, are particularly worried by a proposed bill that would "lower the legal marriage age for girls" to as young as "nine years," according to news agency AFP. Rights activists are concerned, stating that in the extremely male-dominated nation, this shift could threaten women's rights and increase the number of a child marriages.

Nine years? That's basically a child getting married.i really hope this is not approved. They still have so much to learn and so many other things to do as they grow up.

That's sad . Nine year girl is a child and I don't think a girl at this age is mature and is ready to get marriage. It's sad that people of Iraq still living in the stone age and believe a girl a thing which is like a s*x toy and a machine to produce children.

That's way too young. How do they expect a girl not up to a decade old to go into marriage, to do what exactly, play and dance in the rain?

That's way too young. How do they expect a girl not up to a decade old to go into marriage, to do what exactly, play and dance in the rain?

I am not pointing towards the religion but I have noticed females are not considered well in Islamic countries.

Back