Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

How often do you upgrade your PC?

Smokey

Off The Mark

Reaction score
How often do you upgrade your PC, whether it be a desktop or a laptop? For me. I tend to upgrade every 3-4 years or so. I feel by then there's enough of a jump in technology to make it worth buying a new gaming laptop or desktop PC. If you're one of those people who upgrade components, how often do you upgrade the CPU or GPU in your PC? or add/upgrade the ram? What is the right amount of time for an upgrade do you think?

I built my PC in 2020 and apart from replacing the GPU, I haven’t touched anything else. I don’t really use my PC much anymore and it works fine so I don’t think I will be upgrading anything any time soon.

I tend to replace either my laptop or PC when it is needed and when I feel I am ready to make an upgrade or if something goes wrong with my current PC or laptop and it would cost more to get it repaired than to just replace it.

I recently just got a new laptop which is working great and I am hoping this lasts many years :)

My last PC was 2 years ago. I don't have any plans on upgrading it until it's no longer serving me how I wanted it.

When I had a PC, it updated automatically. I didn't stop it. It wasn't a big deal.

It is required to upgrade your PC when it no longer meets your performance needs, such as when it struggles to run new software or games, experiences frequent crashes, or becomes too slow for your everyday tasks. That's what I follow. As long as it is fulfilling my daily needs and expectations from it, there's no need of an upgrade.

It is required to upgrade your PC when it no longer meets your performance needs, such as when it struggles to run new software or games, experiences frequent crashes, or becomes too slow for your everyday tasks. That's what I follow. As long as it is fulfilling my daily needs and expectations from it, there's no need of an upgrade.
I think there is another possibility to flash your PC. But after a period a computer like i5 or i7 even flashed doesn't work as expected after flash because the new applications require more processors to work and you find applications that could run decreasing gradually. Then you need a new PC.

I have been using the same computer since 6 years. You can understand, I am not very much into upgrading my PC very often. I use my PC until it starts giving my headaches with speed and glitches. Before I bought my current computer, I was using my previous computer for more than 8 years. However, my computer is getting slow and I am thinking to buy a computer.

Last edited:
I don't have a PC right now because I only have a laptop, but it also needs to be upgraded. Last year I needed to increase the amount of memory, so I bought this. And it also needs to be cleaned very often, and this is also an improvement, because after that the laptop works much better

I bought mine last year. After 5 years of using my favourite machine.

I loved that one but was too slow. It was an Intel, this one is AMD. I need to upgrade my graphics card though.

I used my first PC for over 7 years. What I did was to gradually upgrade the hardware components to meet up with the minimum requirements of new softwares. That saved me the cost of having to buy a new PC every now and then. My current PC is already five years old. Would upgrade by the 6th year.

Mostly I try to upgrade my PC every 4-5 years to keep up with the latest hardware and performance improvements. My current rig is starting to show its age.

To be honest not very often, my laptop right now is even having some issues, so I guess what I need is a new one rather than upgrading it. When I get a new one I we definitely upgrade it periodically though.

I have a personal computer and I don't do it often because I don't play video games, I just use the browser and a few programs that don't need a lot of power, but recently I bought extra memory because I didn't have enough to store data. I also plan to buy additional coolers

I have a personal computer and I don't do it often because I don't play video games, I just use the browser and a few programs that don't need a lot of power, but recently I bought extra memory because I didn't have enough to store data. I also plan to buy additional coolers
It depends on the number of profile browsers you are using. Such browsers like Edge or chrome or brave or opera have multiple profile options for example you are using 3 Gmail accounts on your name or 5 Gmail accounts in your name then it will be much memory consumption so each one has its purpose one to signup on forums one to sign on freelancing platforms one for micro jobs one for work purpose and one for social media accounts.

Do you mean upgrade as in upgrading the software or getting a new PC altogether? For me, I prefer the second option, PC can only lasts for as long as it can, so it is necessary to get new and latest ones.

Getting a new laptop or PC can be pretty expensive over here. So for me I just stick to upgrading the one I already have.

Only when I need a new one because older one does not work or giving problems

How often do you upgrade your PC, whether it be a desktop or a laptop? For me. I tend to upgrade every 3-4 years or so. I feel by then there's enough of a jump in technology to make it worth buying a new gaming laptop or desktop PC. If you're one of those people who upgrade components, how often do you upgrade the CPU or GPU in your PC? or add/upgrade the ram? What is the right amount of time for an upgrade do you think?
Actually I often upgrade my desktop or laptop as long as it was available to upgrade it for me to unlocked new features.

Besides unlocking new features, upgrading it also helps to ensure that everything runs pretty well, and to secure it from external attacks like a virus.

Back