Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

How can family rules help teach essential life skills?

Sanjeev

Veteran

Reaction score
Teaching essential life skills like time management, self-care, and accountability can be greatly helped by family rules. Children learn to prioritize responsibilities and efficiently manage their time when routines and timetables are established for homework, housework, and extracurricular activities. Children learn to organize and manage their time well when chores or projects have deadlines. Sleep routines, healthy eating habits, and and regular exercise are regulated by rules that support mental and physical wellness. Self-care routines have deep roots when personal hygiene practices, such as routine bathing and tooth brushing, are emphasized. Giving kids chores and responsibilities helps them learn responsibility and accountability for their behavior. When expectations are set and followed, kids are better able to take responsibility for their acts and better understand the consequences of their actions.

It is better to make your kids understand all this. Do you have special rule made for you kids?

One of the things that I learned from my family was taking responsibility. As a child growing up, no one did what you needed to do as a child for you. And no one made excuses for you not to do the things you ought to do as a child. That drove into me a sense of responsibility.

The kind of family we grow up in, and the rules they have played down for us are what makes up who we are today. My family had a lot of rules about integrity, honestly and so on. This has helped me to be who I am today.

Back