Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Have you ever taken any medicine without consulting a doctor?

deucher

Chipi Chipi Chapa Chapa

Reaction score
There are such cases when, for example, you have a headache and you don't need to go to the doctor, but you can drink pills yourself, but have you taken some more serious pills without consulting. For example, from allergies or from chronic diseases?

I take over the counter pills all the time, for headaches, allergies or cold, but I will never take any prescription meds without a Doctor's prescription! I care for my body and health too much to self medicate.

I frequently take over the counter pills without any kind of consultation. I have also taken antibiotics without consulting any professional health care provider. If I experience symptoms that I experienced earlier, I will try to buy the medicine that was given to me previously by the doctor without any kind of consultation. However, I do this less frequently.

There was a time I used to take medications on my own. Whenever I felt signs of malaria or had stomach aches. I would go for malaria drugs and if I still do not recover, I we include thyroid treatment as well. Then for stomach aches, I usually go for deworming.

That's a common thing in my own country. I treat malaria and typhoid by myself since I already know the prescribed drugs that work for me. It is only when symptoms are persistent that I would need to consult a doctor. Even the doctor you consult would ask you if you have treated malaria prior to coming.

I have to admit, there have been a few times when I've taken over-the-counter medication without checking with my doctor first. Usually it was something minor like an occasional pain reliever for a headache or cold medicine when I had a stuffy nose. However, I really try to avoid doing this as it can be risky.

Only my mother could do this because she thought that it is not necessary to call the doctor because she knows what pills will help me and I am glad that nothing serious happened to me then, but now I never do such a thing and I call the doctor

Back