Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Do you speak any dead languages?

Kennedy

Active Contributor

Reaction score
Do you know any dead languages? Which one's are you willing to learn if you have the opportunity to? Latin have been considered a dead language for years but that's not what I want to learn. Old High German and High Valyrian language is what I would love to learn.

Do you have any dead languages which you want to learn?

What is a " dead language?"

Talking to the dead?

The same question I was going to ask because I've heard anything about dead languages. I heard about High Valyrian in Game of Thrones but I felt it was just movies.

How many people in world are into speaking and understanding of any dead language? I don't think there is many of them left. This is why I would not have my time to be wasted on learning any useless dead language which will not add any value to my life.

I can speak three languages, English, Hindi and Nepali, all of these languages are pretty alive. I can read and understand Sanskrit but I cannot speak the language. Sanskrit is also pretty alive. I do not speak any dead languages. I do not even know about the languages that are dead. A lot of ancient languages are still spoken

If any language is still being used by any group of people, I would not consider the language dead. Unless it's a language that was used in the old civilization which was discovered by archaeologist where details about the language was recorded, it's on this note such a language would be considered dead.

So far I don't currently know any dead languages.

I know some Latin phrases such as "Carpe diem" and "Ino vino ino veritas" and a few others but that's about it.

What is a " dead language?"

Talking to the dead?
From my understanding, I think it's a language that they no longer use. Either because the tribe no longer exist or they have simply stopped using them. I don't know any dead language though.

Back