Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Did you acquire any skills at your first job that helped you in the future?

deucher

Chipi Chipi Chapa Chapa

Reaction score
I have worked at many different jobs and I have gained some skills everywhere, but not all of them have been useful to me. But at my first job, I learned how to properly communicate with customers, because I was still a student at the time, I didn't know how to do it correctly, and the owner of the institution where I worked taught me, and it still helps me a lot

I did not go for language and literature in college and university, however, I made m first money writing for newspaper., I self learned how to write articles and I started writing articles when I was sill in college. Later, I started self learning website designing, SEO and digital marketing to build an income.

I learned how to be a cashier! :D

I never waited to be employed on my first job before I started acquiring skills. I learnt from a very young age that it is going to be to my advantage to have a lot of skills that will make me to settle in easy any kind of job that I have been employed to do. I picked up a few skills when I was working but it was not where I learnt my first skill. I learnt how to manage personnels at work in my first job.

I never waited to be employed on my first job before I started acquiring skills. I learnt from a very young age that it is going to be to my advantage to have a lot of skills that will make me to settle in easy any kind of job that I have been employed to do. I picked up a few skills when I was working but it was not where I learnt my first skill. I learnt how to manage personnels at work in my first job.
Now the world is so cruel that you won't be hired if you don't have skills. I also didn't get many jobs because I didn't know anything so I had to work the lowest paying jobs until I gained experience

Now the world is so cruel that you won't be hired if you don't have skills. I also didn't get many jobs because I didn't know anything so I had to work the lowest paying jobs until I gained experience

A lot of people whom have graduated from the universities without having any solid skills are currently unemployed which is the reason why those who are smart will devote more time in acquiring skills when they are still in the university so that when they graduate, they will have better qualification than those who don't have any skills.

That's actually how things are. It's not about cruelty at all....

For any job, check whether you earn or learn. If none of them is available, leave. Luckily, all my jobs gave me both. I am glad it went that way.

I have always had an interest in graphic designing, so I started learning with Photoshop on my one. The first job I got was to be a photo editor and the software used was Photoshop. On my first job I was able to learn photo editing and more about Photoshop which is currently helping me now. I am building a brand of my own in graphic designing and photo editing.

I am very interested to know if someone taught you at work or you just learned yourself because you had practice and could improve yourself. Because my brother had a similar situation, but he was not taught, but simply expected that with experience he would start working harder himself
I have always had an interest in graphic designing, so I started learning with Photoshop on my one. The first job I got was to be a photo editor and the software used was Photoshop. On my first job I was able to learn photo editing and more about Photoshop which is currently helping me now. I am building a brand of my own in graphic designing and photo editing.

I am very interested to know if someone taught you at work or you just learned yourself because you had practice and could improve yourself. Because my brother had a similar situation, but he was not taught, but simply expected that with experience he would start working harder himself
It was still the same for me. My boss didn't really teach me anything. All he did was tell someone to teach me how to trim pictures to change background. I had to watch others and try myself then ask questions. With the little corrections given and the small knownlege I had about Photoshop before I was able to push from there. It was later on he started trying to give a few lectures 🤧

It was still the same for me. My boss didn't really teach me anything. All he did was tell someone to teach me how to trim pictures to change background. I had to watch others and try myself then ask questions. With the little corrections given and the small knownlege I had about Photoshop before I was able to push from there. It was later on he started trying to give a few lectures 🤧
I think that even those who helped you were not happy about it, but they were not paid enough for it, because my brother's employee said that he will not teach him because he is not paid for it

I think that even those who helped you were not happy about it, but they were not paid enough for it, because my brother's employee said that he will not teach him because he is not paid for it
Well weather they are happy or not about it, I have gotten what I wanted and I took out time to study on my own. Even till date I still pay for extra classes and webniers to help improve my skills.

Well weather they are happy or not about it, I have gotten what I wanted and I took out time to study on my own. Even till date I still pay for extra classes and webniers to help improve my skills.
I think it's right because you can't do much with such companies. These are companies like a springboard for beginners, and no one will want to stay working with them, unless the people are the same as the owner.

It was my first job as a high school teacher that pushed to always anchor their Parents Teachers Meeting and end of session parties, and today, I emcee events as part of my side hustles. I have emcee gigs at least once every month and I am always grateful to that school for pushing me to do that when I didn't even want to.

The first job is always a big teacher. You get to know things from a different perspective, a practical manner. Knowledge is good, but how to apply it in the real world is a completely different subject.

The first job I ever had was at a bakery where I mix the flour and put them in pans and then the oven. It really helped because I was able to know how to operate various machines like the mixer, kneading machine, oven and so on.

My very first job as a grocery store cashier taught me invaluable skills that have benefited me throughout my career. Beyond just operating a register, I learned the fundamentals of customer service. how to interact patiently and politely even with difficult people. Multitasking and working efficiently under pressure were vital.

My first job was already tiring for me. The team was too unfriendly and from the first day I felt that no one was happy that I was working with them. Then only bigger problems started. It taught me to stand up for my own boundaries and my own opinion

In as much as I am no longer working in my first job, I owe much of my personal development to it. It was on my first job that I learned how to lead because I was made a team lead somewhere along the line in that job.

Back