Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Can I exercise if I'm sick?

Nomad

Veteran

Reaction score
It is generally believed that it is better to rest and allow your body to recover when you're sick. However, whether you should exercise or not depend son your symptoms and diseases. Exercising with a mild cold is usually okay, but if you have symptoms like fever, fatigue, or body aches, it's better to take a break until you feel better.Light impact exercise like evening walk can be beneficial to those who do not have any problems in legs.

If I felt even the slightest hint that I was sick, I immediately stopped training until I was completely healthy, because if I continued it would only get worse and the recovery period would take longer

No, I don't put myself through any kind of work out drills when I'm sick. I know there is light work out drills but I won't put my body through it at the time because that's when my body needs all the rest it can get so that I will recover very fast.

As much as you may be able to exercise when you are sick, I would not advise it because your body is already fighting off the illness that you have in therefore would only be put under more pressure with you exercising and working out too.

It would be best to wait until you are feeling better.

As much as you may be able to exercise when you are sick, I would not advise it because your body is already fighting off the illness that you have in therefore would only be put under more pressure with you exercising and working out too.

It would be best to wait until you are feeling better.

This is correct. When you are ill, there is already so much pressure on your body generally. Adding extra pressure to it by trying to work out will do you more harm than good. It's why even doctors won't advice it until you are almost recovered. At that stage, the work out will make you stronger.

The body systems or people are different. There are people that can exercise effectively with a cold but I can't do any strenuous with any kind of health discomfort. I skip exercising on such days.

Don't do it, you can develop pleurisy if you exercise while sick. I know because it happened to me.

I've seen many people do this, maybe it's good for them and in this way they help the body to fight the disease, but when I'm sick I don't train because I think I'll exhaust my body even more

It depends on your body though. Most times when I begin to see signs of fever in my body, morning walks helps me a lot. But In a situation where my body has already broken down due to sickness, it's best to rest and recover.

I feel you should not exercise if you are sick or not feeling well

I feel you should not exercise if you are sick or not feeling well
The most important thing is to understand your body, what works for the other person might not actually work for you. Just understand how your body works and go with it accordingly.

In general, it's best to take a break from exercise when you're sick, especially if you have symptoms like fever, body aches, fatigue or chest congestion. Pushing yourself too hard can prolong the illness and potentially lead to more serious complications.

I don't think that's advisable. What will make a sick person get better is medication with a lot of rest. So if you use the time you are supposed to spend resting to workout, there might be additional problems.

Back