Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion community aiming to provide a fun and laidback environment with a touch of old school. We have a diverse memberbase with people from all over the world and tons of content for you to get involved in and share your perspective. We’d love for you to become a part of our awesome community.

Can boxing be as mean as what we used to have?

Henrywrites

Active Contributor

Reaction score
I have not been following the boxing sports recently, but I remember the boxing of old that always comes with lots of passion and great bouts. That was the time when Tyson was rumoured to have bitten off the ear of his opponent who was winning him in a match then. Do you think we can have such great fights of old in boxing?

Rumored? Dude took a bite of Holyfield's ear! It was well documented. Tyson is a beast and no, me personally do not want this type of fighting back.
View attachment 72

Oh my goodness! That must have been a terrible incident. Mike Tyson was known to be a strong contender during his days as a boxer. So, for him to be able to resort to biting off an opponent ear shows how tough the match was for him. Was he disqualified after this incident, or what exactly happened?

Rumored? Dude took a bite of Holyfield's ear! It was well documented. Tyson is a beast and no, me personally do not want this type of fighting back.
View attachment 72
Evander Holyfield beat the hell out of Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson didn't expect that kind of fight from Evander Holyfield. Boxers have gone too soft now. They talk too much on social media instead of doing it in the boxing ring. We have influencial or YouTube boxers now.

Oh my goodness! That must have been a terrible incident. Mike Tyson was known to be a strong contender during his days as a boxer. So, for him to be able to resort to biting off an opponent ear shows how tough the match was for him. Was he disqualified after this incident, or what exactly happened?
Yes, Mike Tyson was disqualified in the match following the bite. He was also fined $3 million and lost his boxing licence for a while.

I doubt we'll ever witness boxing matches quite like the classic bouts of Ali vs. Frazier, Marciano vs. Walcott, or Ward vs. Gatti again. I had hopes that Tyson Fury might bring us a memorable super fight reminiscent of those days, but it didn't quite live up to expectations. I think @Ja sa bong may be right, now we have a lot of Youtube and twitter boxers now who don't know how to fight. I do hope that boxing makes a come back, but since Iron Mike I just haven't seen anything close.

I have never followed boxing, neither in the past nor in the present. I have watched boxing on TV but that also occasionally. However, I have watched a lot of movie about boxing. Some of my all time favorite movies are actually based on boxing. I enjoy watching boxing on movies, I have not found the same pleasure in watching real boxing.

I doubt we'll ever witness boxing matches quite like the classic bouts of Ali vs. Frazier, Marciano vs. Walcott, or Ward vs. Gatti again. I had hopes that Tyson Fury might bring us a memorable super fight reminiscent of those days, but it didn't quite live up to expectations. I think @Ja sa bong may be right, now we have a lot of Youtube and twitter boxers now who don't know how to fight. I do hope that boxing makes a come back, but since Iron Mike I just haven't seen anything close.
Since Francis Ngannou switched from fighting in UFC to boxing and have been training with Mike Tyson, I have seen so much improvement in his game. Tyson Fury didn't take him seriously and he nearly lost his WBO title if not for the judge who saved him with a bizzare ruling. Francis Ngannou will fight Anthony Joshua next. It will be a big fight.

In my opinion, all sports change over time. Boxing was indeed much better than now and in the 90s there were huge stadiums of people who were ready to pay a lot of money for it. And now the fights don't happen so often and the boxers are much calmer and it's very rare to see something epic in the ring

In my opinion, all sports change over time. Boxing was indeed much better than now and in the 90s there were huge stadiums of people who were ready to pay a lot of money for it. And now the fights don't happen so often and the boxers are much calmer and it's very rare to see something epic in the ring

It is just like what is happening with Tyson Fury for the past eight months since he has been ruined away from fighting and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Even the word boxing federation is not even considering stripping the world boxing championship from him with him not fighting when he was supposed to.

Back then, money was not so important, because boxers could show their talent and it was fun and pleasant to watch, but now there is no talent, only PR and money, although I cannot understand why people watch this, because if they did not pay, this would not happen in the future

The great fights of old in boxing . those were truly legendary! While it's hard to replicate the exact same magic, I believe we can still witness epic battles in the ring today. With the right matchups, skillful fighters, and a dash of rivalry and drama, we can experience modern classics that evoke the spirit of iconic bouts like Ali-Frazier or Sugar Ray-Marvin Hagler. The sport is evolving, but the essence of thrilling competition remains the same.

Back